On the two hour drive from Hilo to Kona we made a few stops that you’d probably want to as well.
- Akaka Falls State Park. It’s home to the Hawaiian Island’s most famous waterfall, the 442-foot Akaka Falls which is breathtaking. There’s also the 100-foot Kahuna Falls (FYI: They now charge $5 to enter the park and $1 per person to enter the waterfall area).
- Stopping at Tex Drive-In in Honoka’a for its famed Malasadas — a local snack that’s basically a fancy name for a cream filled doughnut. Here you can also pick tropical flavors.
- The view of Waipio Valley at the Waipio Valley Lookout. Incredible view and it’s the boyhood home of King Kamehameha.
- Driving through Parker Ranch and seeing the snow on Mauna Kea.
- I was Tweeting along the drive and the PR person from @EddieRestaurant in Kona sent me a tweet inviting us to stop by and try their Shave Ice Martini. It was perfect timing as we were looking for a place to eat. It’s right near the Marriott Hotel which I stayed at four years ago and couldn’t believe how much the area has changed. They have a whole new shopping center and the old shops have expanded to an outdoor mall. They now have a Macy’s!