I just returned from an Africa safari with Micato Safaris. It was my maiden trip to Kenya and although I’ve been all around the world and to other parts of Africa, it can be a bit nerve racking arriving to a new destination for the first time, especially in Africa. Micato instantly relieved all my anxiety upon our arrival. A Micato concierge greeted my wife and I as soon as we stepped off the plane and after clearing immigration and fetching our bags, we were on our way to Hemingways Nairobi.
Hemingways Nairobi is a brand new boutique hotel located in the suburbs of Nairobi. Late at night, when there’s no traffic, the drive takes 40 minutes but during the day, it’s much longer thanks to Nairobi’s notoriously horrendous traffic congestion. If you are looking for a luxury hotel to use as a home base before your African safari, then Hemingways Nairobi is perfect. As you will see from the selection of photos below, it’s plush and comfortable. And I was happy to learn that they will store some of your clothes or extra luggage if necessary, since the bush planes we were taking throughout the course of our safari have strict weight limits.
Good to Know:
- Hemingways Nairobi is a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
- There are 45 luxurious guest rooms and suites.
- The rooms at Hemingways Nairobi are all named after a famous writer, explorer or actor with African ties. We were in room 34, Vasco Da Gama’s room.
- The smallest room is still 80 square meters, which is quite comfortable.
- The rooms are plush and bug-free and have a flat screen TV hidden inside a trunk at the foot of the bed. Press a button and it rises up.
- The beds extremely comfortable and have the perfect size/weight pillows and comforter, which ensured me a good night’s sleep.
- They have one of the largest and nicest deep-soaking tubs I’ve ever seen.
- The hardwood floors are quite slippery so be careful when you’re walking around with socks on. It might be best to go barefoot.
- There are three restaurants and I love the Africa-inspired quotes on the wall in the dining room.
- Afternoon tea is served daily from 3pm to 5pm on The Dining Room Terrace overlooking the Ngong Hills.
- There’s a spa with four treatment rooms.
- There’s a gym with cardiovascular equipment, free weights and a Kinesis resistance system.
- Hemingways Nairobi has a 15-meter outdoor heated swimming pool.