As I’m in Africa right now, I thought it would be a great time to highlight a website that was founded by an American couple traveling here. Pack for a Purpose was created so that travelers to Africa and tons of other destinations can help make a huge impact on the lives of children around the world, just by packing a few supplies. For five pounds (2.27 kilos), you can bring any of the following: 400 pencils, 5 deflated soccer balls with an inflation device or a stethoscope, a blood pressure cuff or 500 band-aids. The five-step system makes it easy for you to donate:
1. Select your destination (If you don’t see your destination or lodging listed, they encourage you to contact your local travel agent or the lodgings where you’ll be staying. If they have an appropriate community project, please contribute and recommend that the lodging submit their project for free inclusion on the Pack for a Purpose website.)
2. Find a lodging and a project it supports.
3. Choose the supplies you wish to bring from the specific items requested.
4. Drop off the supplies at the lodging you selected.
5. They will be delivered for you; it’s that easy!
Have you used Pack for a Purpose before? Would you be willing to pack five or more pounds of goods on your next trip?