When the State Department issues a travel warning for a country, is it safe to travel there?
In this extremely in-depth post, Ian Greenleigh of data.world examines seven years of travel warnings and Americans killed to “reveal the connections between American deaths abroad, government travel warnings, and foreign travel.” As part of the study, Greenleigh lists the countries where the most American civilians were killed over that time, and then adjusts to factor in the number of people who visited. Per capita, he finds the following to be the 25 countries where the most Americans are killed:
- El Salvador
- Costa Rica
- Saudi Arabia
- Dominican Republic
He goes on to examine the correlation between American deaths and travel warnings, giving special attention to places with many warnings and few deaths as well as those with few warnings and many deaths per capita. He also looks at the way State Department travel warnings affect visitation. It’s a great (though long) read. Check it out here.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,052!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.