Each Friday, we feature a reader-inspired tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes not from a regular reader but from AutoSlash, which I’ve previously written about as one of the best places to book a rental car (as you can see in the comments, many readers agree). In a recent email, AutoSlash shared a great rental car tip specific to this summer, which has unofficially been deemed the “summer of the road trip.” If you or a loved one is under 25, the tip could save you $30/day on a car rental. From the email:
“At the outset of the coronavirus pandemic last spring, several rental car companies stepped up with temporary promotions to waive young renter fees for drivers under 25. This is a big deal, since young renter fees can be $30 per day. While some of those waivers expired at the end of May and June, Avis and Budget have extended their young driver fee waivers until the end of July and Hertz has extended its waiver through August. This makes these three companies — Avis, Budget and Hertz — particularly good choices for college-age drivers this summer.
“PRO TIP: Always book your rental car as soon as you know that you need one. When you ask AutoSlash for a quote, we automatically search publicly available discounts and coupons offered by major rental car companies. Then be sure to ask AutoSlash to track your reservation. We’ll let you know if there’s a price drop, so you can cancel and rebook at the lower rate to save even more.”
So if you plan on renting a car this summer, remember that you can save up to $30/day by renting from a company that’s waiving young driver fees. And don’t forget to check out these other great rental car tips:
- This Rental Car Company Will Waive the Under-25 Fee for AAA Members
- Take a Moment to Learn How Your Rental Car Gas Tank Door Opens
- Bring Your Own Toll Pass to Save Money on Your Next Rental Car
- Delete Your Device’s Bluetooth Info Before Returning a Rental Car
- Make Sure You Price Out Rental Cars at Off-Airport Locations
- Photograph Your Rental Car Tires Before Leaving the Lot
- Make Sure to Check the Tires of Your Rental Car
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.