Triple Crown season is here. Yay for thoroughbred racing season (and the big beautiful hats that we get to wear)!
With the Kentucky Derby set for this weekend (May 7) at the Churchill Downs, the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico on May 21 and the Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park on June 11, crowds will soon be gearing up for the festivities. Some will head to see the races live, and others will have their own viewing parties. Wherever you plan to watch, don’t forget to practice your signature race cocktails!
Here are some signature cocktail recipes—one for each race—to make sure the drinks are solid at your viewing party (or pre-race party):
1. Kentucky Derby (May 7): The Mint Julep
The Mint Julep is signature drink of the race dubbed as the most exciting two minutes in sports. This Derby is, of course, the first in the race for the Triple Crown. While the Mint Julep is a well-known drink, below is the classic recipe from Old Forester:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Old Forester straight bourbon whisky
- Silver Julep cups
Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Old Forester Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
2. Preakness Stakes (May 21): The Black-Eyed Susan
Did you know that the Preakness Stakes also has a signature cocktail? It called the Black-Eyed Susan because the winning horse is draped with a blanket of black-eyed susans, the state flower of Maryland (where the Preakness happens to be held). Below is the recipe from Visit Baltimore:
- 1.5 ounces of Effen vodka
- 1 ounce of Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 2 ounces of orange juice
- 2 ounces sour mix
Mix ingredients and pour into a glass with crushed ice. Garnish with an orange and cherry.
3. Belmont Stakes (June 11): The Belmont Jewel
Belmont is the third and final leg of the Triple Crown, and its official drink is the Belmont Jewel featuring Woodford Reserve bourbon, lemonade and pomegranate. Below is the recipe straight from the Belmont Stakes team and Woodford Reserve:
- 1.5 oz Woodford Reserve bourbon
- 2 oz lemonade
- 1 oz pomegranate Juice
- Orange zest
Shake vigorously with ice and serve in a rock glass with ice. Garnish with an orange.
There you have it. Now get to practicing all three signature drinks in advance of all the races! And let us know which is your favorite!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.