I’ve long been a fan of Andrew McCarthy, ever since the 1980s when he starred in so many great films like Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire and, my personal favorite, Weekend at Bernie’s. From actor and director, Andrew has become a prolific travel writer and it was my privilege to sit down and talk with him over a Zoom call this week. In the latest episode of my “39 Travel Questions” YouTube series (last week I spoke to Josh Gates), we chatted about travel, the friendliest people in the world, where to find the best pizza, and so much more. Check out the video above for our whole conversation and below for his abbreviated answers.
Name: Andrew McCarthy
Short bio: Andrew McCarthy has directed some of today’s most popular television shows, including Orange Is the New Black and The Blacklist. He gained fame as an actor in the 1980’s appearing in such iconic films as Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire, and Less Than Zero, as well cult favorites Weekend at Bernie’s and Mannequin. He has starred on Broadway and made numerous television appearances, most recently in the ABC drama THE FAMILY. He is also one of today’s leading travel writers.
Books: The Longest Way Home: One Man’s Quest for the Courage to Settle Down & Just Fly Away
How are you doing with quarantine? See video (but he and his family all contracted the COVID-19 virus)
Hometown: Westfield, NJ
College major: Drama
Earliest travel memory: Going to the Jersey Shore
How many countries have you been to? No idea. 30-40?
Favorite American city: NYC and Portland, Oregon
Favorite international city: Paris
Friendliest people in the world: NYC
Country with the meanest immigration officers: USA and Canada
Favorite airline: No favorite
Favorite aircraft type: The larger the better
Sat next to any famous celebs: Dan Rather and Julie Andrews
Favorite U.S. airport: Charlotte
Favorite international airport: Amsterdam
Favorite airport lounge: Anyone that will let me in
Favorite hotel: Villa d’este Lake Como
Favorite island and beach: French Polynesia and Maui
Favorite restaurant: Ristorante Sabatini In Trastevere Roma
Favorite food: Pizza
Favorite pizza place: John’s of Bleecker St.
Craziest thing you’ve eaten: A slug in the Amazon
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Sparkling water
Favorite travel movie(s): None
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain’s
Favorite travel book(s): Most of Paul Theroux’s
What do you always seem to forget? Chargers
Worst travel moment: Taking the M60 bus with you from LGA to Manhattan and African honeymoon
Best travel tip: Just go
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.