Short bio: Richard Bangs has oft been called the father of modern adventure travel, and the pioneer in travel that makes a difference, travel with a purpose. He led first descents of 35 rivers around the globe, including the Yangtze in China and the Zambezi in Southern Africa. Richard has published more than 1000 magazine articles, 19 books, produced a score of documentaries, lectured at the Smithsonian, the National Geographic Society, the Explorers Club and hosted a TV show.
Hometown: Washington DC area
Residence: Venice Beach, CA
College: Northwestern University
College major: Journalism
How are you doing with quarantine? Haven’t flown in a year but traveled the West
When or what will it take to get you to fly again? Once I get my second shot which will be soon.
How many countries have you been to? Over 160
How many continents have you been to? All of them. Including the 8th (see video for what that continent is)
Earliest travel memory: Working as a guide on the Colorado River while in college
Favorite American city: See video
Favorite international city: Addis Abba
Friendliest people in the world: Iran
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Haven’t encountered the meanest but the sleepiest was in Turkey
Favorite aircraft type: A380 and small planes
Sat next to any famous celebs: John Denver and he wasn’t very nice
Drink of choice (on the ground): Gin and Tonic especially in Africa
Craziest thing you’ve eaten: Hippo
Favorite hotel: Explorer Lodge at the bottom of Chile
Favorite travel credit card: Alaska Airlines Visa
Favorite island: Madagascar
Favorite beach: Lombok in Indonesia
Best place for adventure travel: New Zealand, Georgia (the country) and so many more places
Most adventurous activity: Chartering rivers including the Zambezi
Best sightseeing excursion/tour: See video
Favorite travel movie: Year of living dangerously and African Queen
Favorite travel book: See video
Favorite travel app: www.Steller.co
Worst travel moment: Getting my suitcase stolen from me at LAX just before flying to Germany
What’s your dream destination? Space and Angola
What’s the most important thing travel has taught you: Humility and See video
Best travel tip: Go with the flow
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.