If you’re a frequent business traveler, you may have accrued so many points that you don’t know what to do with them. And maybe you travel so much that you don’t want to get back on a plane if you can help it. Then you might be interested to know that you can use Membership Rewards® points from American Express not only for travel but also to buy everyday household items or those things you always seem to forget to pack.
Because I’m such a travel junkie, I recommend using Membership Rewards points for travel – but redeeming points for travel doesn’t always work for everyone. So if you’ve got lots of Amex points just sitting in your account, you can use them for other things on ShopAmex®.
You can get everything from toothpaste to a Hovercraft! Yes, I said Hovercraft. I’m a frequent traveler so I’ve got my packing routine down pat–but every now and then, there’s still something I forget at home and it really sucks to land at your destination only to find you’ve left your phone charger or sunglasses behind.
Not sure what you can use your points for? I’ve rounded up 5 things you can buy using points, all of which are things that people frequently forget to pack. (They also make great presents if you’d like to use #PointsForPresents or holiday shopping!) Buy these things in advance and either put them in your suitcase now or jot down a list so that the next time you pack your bags, you don’t forget these essentials:
3. Bose MIE2i mobile headset
List Price: $129.95
Estimated Points: 15,582
5. Colgate Total + Whitening Toothpaste, 6 oz
List Price: 2.96
Estimated Points: 95
These are just some of the things you can use Membership Rewards points for. I still recommend trying to use points for travel or to buy a plane ticket, but if that doesn’t work for you, then this is an option you’ll be happy to know about.
Now, you can even use points for charges right from your phone with the new and improved Amex app. So use points to buy things you need, on the go…or use them to get your holiday shopping done. Either way, whether you use Membership Rewards points for travel or for purchasing goods, don’t let them just waste in your account. Points/miles are for spending, not hoarding!
What would you spend your points on? Leave a comment below!
I was selected by American Express as to help educate consumers about how to use Membership Rewards points. As such I was paid for my services, but all gift choices selected and opinions about the gifts and American Express are my own. http://paid-po.st/3Nfrb0
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.