Howdy Pet Lovers,
Do we take the pets? Do we leave them? How much are one of those pet hotels? Would the house sitter mind looking after them too? What if it’s too out in the house? We want to use that airline because of our flyer miles, but do they allow dogs?
Overwhelming and cumbersome as it can be, our friends over at PetRelocation.com found that 60% of us still won’t travel without our pets. And for the rest of you- no need for the separation anxiety meds just yet because traveling with your pooch can be both convenient and hassle-free.
So whether you’re traveling cross-country or jet-setting on a plane, make sure to read Tobi Skovron’s (CEO and founder of Pet Loo) tips, below, on how to keep your pet healthy and happy while by your side.
1. Check airline policies and requirements – Each airline has different policies so always check before you book a ticket. Ask the following questions: Does the airline allow you to take small animals in the cabin? If not, do they have any restrictions or blackout periods for transporting animal in the cargo cabin? Are there any pet health or immunization requirements? What type of pet carriers does the airline require? Websites like PetRelocation.com can help you research the best airlines and locate pet-friendly hotels.
2. Have your veterinarian examine your pet – Most airlines require health certificates, so having your vet do a thorough examination will allow you to gather the most up-to-date medical records and also determine if your pet will need any sedatives during travel.
3. Choose appropriate safety travel products – With the rise in pet-friendly travel safety gear, there are many different products for pet owners to choose from today. In addition to standard travel carriers, you can also find padded seat belt harnesses and booster seats for pets. Determine which products are best for your pet and mode of transportation (your veterinarian or local pet retailer can help you with this decision).
4. Prepare your pet for departure – Whether traveling by air or land, it’s best to exercise your pet a couple of hours before departure to help relax and tire them out. Additionally, don’t feed your pet at least two hours before departure. Small amounts of water can be given before the trip. If possible, put ice cubes in the water tray attached to the inside of your pet’s travel case – water will spill!
5. Portable Potties – When traveling, you might not always have immediate access to pet-friendly ‘bathroom’ facilities. If you’re taking the RV on a long road trip, or spending an afternoon aboard a boat with your furry friend, indoor pet potties like The Pet Loo offer a compact, hygienic and environmentally-friendly toilet solution. The synthetic grass used for The Pet Loo will remind your dog of the outdoors, so you don’t have to worry about training your dog to go on pee pads/newspaper (or stocking up on them before your trip). In addition to reducing waste and airborne odors associated with pee pads/newspaper, The Pet Loo uses a revolutionary Pee-Pod which absorbs urine and turns it into a solidified gel, allowing The Pet Loo to hold at least 100 times its weight in liquids and also prevent any sloshing while you’re on the go.
Photo provided by: www.epicatravel.com
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.