I arrived with my husband, Tim, in Oslo, Norway today to begin an eight-day Arctic adventure with Visit Norway USA. We kicked off our adventure with a taste of the Arctic right here in the bustling Oslo city center at ICEBAR Oslo.
ICEBAR is kept at -5° Celsius (23° Fahrenheit) all the time. To stay warm while inside, every guest is given a fur-lined Arctic cape and gloves. Boots are even available to keep your feet toasty!
Properly attired, we entered the frozen depths of Captain Nemo’s submarine, the Nautilus. An octopus tentacle reaches through a porthole, jellyfish float in the ice, and the ice walls are covered with etchings of scary-looking fish only Jules Verne could dream up.
Everything inside is made out of 50 tons of crystal clear ice harvested from the frozen Torne River in Jukkasjarvi, Northern Sweden. And when I say everything, I mean everything. A menu full of custom drink creations designed by one of Norway’s best bartenders, Monica Berg, are even served up in ice glasses.
After finishing your drink, try your hand as sinking your ice glass into the wishing well. We hear it’s good luck if you make it into the wishing well and it is a lot harder than it looks!
Entrance to ICEBAR is on the hour, every hour and a reservation is recommended as a strict 60 person capacity is observed. Visits are for 45 minutes and include cape, gloves, and one drink of your choice and costs NOK 160 ($29 US) per person.
About The Author
Jennifer Dombrowski is a training specialist and social media strategist in the field of higher education. Based in Italy with her husband, Tim, they have a passion for travel and love discovering the world. Follow her on twitter @jdomb or on Facebook.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.