Since my dad has officially moved from Florida to Connecticut, I needed to get his address changed with Medicare and Social Security.
According to our insurance broker, Connecticut has much better laws that protect the elderly so it was a wise move to move him back home. We had no idea. Anyhow, I learned a lot so I thought I would share some of it with you in case you find yourself in this situation.
I first called Medicare, which was a 20-minute mistake because they said I needed to call Social Security first to change his address; then their system would automatically update.
So I called Social Security and shockingly, it was pretty painless. No hold time and the woman changed his address after I told her I was his power of attorney and I provided his old address, his social number, my social number, and then his bank account number and his routing numbers since he gets direct deposits. She said it should be immediately changed with Medicare but to give it 24 hours to be safe.
The whole call took just 13 minutes and she said it was so quick because I called late in the week (Thursday) and in the afternoon (1:45pmPT).
I kept checking my dad’s Medicare profile and it took between 10 and 18 hours to update his address. It happened while I was sleeping so I’m not sure exactly how long but at least I got a solid 8 hours of sleep.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.