This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Over the past few months, airlines have been increasing bonuses, adding perks, and even rebranding some of their offers to boost their lineup of co-brand cards. How many of them offer the opportunity to earn 100,000 bonus miles? The answer: not many.
However, the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card gives you the opportunity to earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
Additionally, new cardholders can earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, and LEVEL within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 3 Avios thereafter). New cardholders can also earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 2 Avios thereafter).
Here are some other features and perks that come with the Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card.
Key Facts About the Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card
We’ll cover the benefits of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card in more detail, but let’s hit the high points first:
- $95 annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- Priority boarding for you and authorized users on Aer Lingus flights departing from and returning to the US from Ireland
- Opportunity to earn an Economy Companion Ticket that is good for 12 months
- Contactless payment technology
The $95 annual fee will be charged with the first billing statement.
Earn 100,000 Bonus Aer Lingus Avios
The biggest draw (and rightfully so) is the opportunity to earn 100,000 bonus Avios with the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card.
New cardholders can earn 100,000 Avios after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
Additionally, new cardholders also earn more Avios for their purchases in the following categories:
- Earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, and LEVEL within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 3 Avios thereafter)
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within the first 12 months from account opening (earn 2 Avios thereafter)
All other purchases earn the standard 1 Avios per $1 spent.
Earn Up to 3 Avios on Select Purchases
Unless you are a new cardholder and qualify for the enhanced signup bonus mentioned above, Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card cardholders earn an unlimited 3 Avios per $1 spent with the following airlines:
- Aer Lingus
- British Airways
Cardholders also earn unlimited 2 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations purchased directly with the hotel.
All remaining purchases will earn an unlimited 1 Avios per $1 spent.
Economy Companion Ticket
After spending $30,000 in a calendar year on your Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card, you will receive a Commercial Companion Ticket that is good for the next 12 months on travel between the United States and Ireland. This ticket is only good for an economy class ticket when you buy your own ticket with cash, and you only have to pay the fees and taxes on the award ticket.
This benefit isn’t as lavish as the Southwest Companion Pass, but it can still outweigh the $95 annual fee if this is your primary travel card.
Primary cardholders and authorized users are eligible for priority boarding status on Aer Lingus operated flights departing from the United States and returning to the United States from Ireland.
Additional Aer Lingus Card Benefits
The Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is a Visa Signature card.
Some of the additional benefits you’ll enjoy include:
- Exclusive benefits at the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection
- Limited time offers to enjoy unique events and experiences
- Rental car collision damage waiver protection
Each card offers its own unique benefits. For the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card, you get to enjoy priority boarding and the opportunity to earn a complimentary companion ticket.
Redeeming Aer Lingus Avios
Earning 100,000 Avios doesn’t happen every day. Being able to redeem your Avios earned with the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is an important factor to consider.
Also, Aer Lingus is a 1:1 Chase Ultimate Rewards travel partner. If you own the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards points on a 1:1 basis to Aer Lingus to book some of the best award flights listed below.
Fly to Ireland for 13,000 Avios
Aer Lingus flies to Ireland, so the best award route is flying from the Eastern United States and Canada to Ireland. In the off-peak season, a one-way business class flight costs 50,000 Avios and an economy seat costs 13,000 Avios from Dublin to these cities and vice versa:
- New York
Travelers can also fly from Shannon to Boston and New York for the same off-peak fares.
During the peak season, you’ll pay either 60,000 Avios or 20,000 Avios each way.
Fly to Ireland from the Western United States for 16,250 Avios
If at all possible, you should try to fly from one of the airports listed above to redeem the fewest Avios possible. When this isn’t the case, you need can still fly for the following Avios in business and economy:
- Economy Class: 16,250 off-peak or 25,000 in peak season
- Business Class: 62,500 off-peak or 75,000 in peak season
The current airports in Aer Lingus’s Zone 6 include:
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
These flights are available to and from Dublin.
Short Haul European Flights for 4,000 Avios
Once you get to Ireland, you can book short haul flights to England and western Europe for 4,000 Avios in the off-peak season. With these low redemption costs, Aer Lingus is one of the most affordable ways to cross the Atlantic and jet around Europe once you finally arrive!
Book an Avios Partner Flight
You can also book a partner flight to get to some of the destinations that Aer Lingus doesn’t go to. Know that you can spend your Avios on reward flights with Aer Lingus and our AerClub airline partners.
- Earn up to 5x Avios on Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, AND LEVEL purchases
- 100,000 Avios sign-up bonus
- Get an Economy Companion Ticket after spending $30,000 a year
- No free checked bags
- The companion ticket is only valid when you buy an economy seat
The Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is a good option if you are looking for one of the cheapest ways to fly from the U.S. to Europe. It can be a good primary card if Aer Lingus is your go-to airline or a secondary airline card to complement your Chase Sapphire card. And if you can earn the 100,000 point Avios bonus, the pot gets even sweeter for the first year of ownership!
100,000 Avios Bonus: Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.