This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
For some exciting award travel news, Aeroplan is the newest Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partner. Chase is also expanding its relationship with Aeroplan’s parent airline, Air Canada, in 2021.
1:1 Point Transfers Start in Late 2021
The Aeroplan and Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer capability starts in late 2021. This long waiting period gives Aeroplan time to finish its ongoing loyalty program changes. While you wait, Air Canada fans can start putting tentative flights on the schedule for award travel in 2022.
Currently, you can transfer American Express Membership Reward, Capital One miles and Marriott Bonvoy points to Aeroplan. These relationships won’t be disappearing at this time.
Until it’s possible to transfer Ultimate Rewards to Aeroplan, it’s possible to book Air Canada flights through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Depending on which card you use, the points can be worth 25% more or 50% more.
The Chase Ultimate Rewards credit cards that don’t have an annual fee (like the Chase Freedom cards) cannot transfer points to Aeroplan. But you can transfer your points to a Sapphire card or Ink Business Preferred to maximize the point redemption bonus.
Related: Best Chase Credit Cards
Aeroplan Loyalty Program Changes
Aeroplan is also revamping its loyalty programs in 2020. The first changes rolled out on November 8, 2020, including:
- Converting Aeroplan miles to Aeroplan points at a 1:1 ratio
- No fuel surcharges
- No award redemption surcharges for Air Canada and partner flights
- Stopovers on award tickets for 5,000 points each
- Share points for free between family members
- Automatic Everyday Status after earning 100,000 Aeroplan points
Some of the other upcoming changes include the ability to share elite status. This perk starts in March 2021 and is for 50k status tiers and above.
It can also be easier to book complex award routes online instead of calling by phone. Of course, this means you may need to find the best offers sooner as there is more competition online.
Another positive note is that Aeroplan pledges to continue offering a published award chart. Many airlines and Star Alliance partners shift to variable award flight prices.
New Chase Aeroplan Credit Card
Few details are available but Chase is launching a co-brand Aeroplan credit card in 2021. Mastercard is going to issue the card for US residents. There currently isn’t a co-brand Air Canada credit card available to US residents as TD Bank no longer offers the original option.
The new credit card launch and directly transferring Ultimate Rewards to one of the highest-rated airline loyalty programs bring optimism to award travel fans that are staying at home.
Summary of Aeroplan Becoming a Chase Transfer Partner
While the newest Ultimate Rewards transfer partnership doesn’t become active until late 2021, there are plenty of ways to redeem Ultimate Rewards for award travel and local purchases. Chase Ultimate Rewards are one of the most valuable credit card points and this new partnership will add more value for international travelers and those who visit Canada regularly.
- Do Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Expire?
- Guide to the Chase 5/24 Rule
- Can You Have Both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Ink Business Preferred?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.