Whenever an airline, or any business for that matter, offers a sale, it means they’re having trouble selling the product. Right now, there are at least four US airlines offering fall sales, which implies they’re having difficulty filling seats on either certain routes or days of the week (hence some of the sales are for off peak days like Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.)
Here’s an example: I didn’t see Clorox putting their wipes on sale last year since they were flying off the shelves. But once the CDC said we don’t really have to worry about surface contamination, all the stores had stocked shelves and in some places I shop, they were on sale. It’s all about supply and demand.
This time of year, airlines historically do put fares on sale because kids are going back to school and leisure travel drops off a cliff, which is another reason, besides great weather, that September is the best month to travel.
But I don’t know if it’s just me but this year, it feels like people are getting skittish about travel with the Delta variant running rampant around the world. Sadly, my dad is currently in the hospital with COVID-19. So that might be another reason for the sales.
There’s also the fact that a lot of business travel isn’t coming back next month like most people had hoped. Here’s why.
The best deal out of the four airlines below I think is Avelo Airlines. If you haven’t heard of Avelo, it’s because they’re a brand new airline that began flying in April (I was on their first-ever flight and here’s what flying them is like). Avelo is a great little airline based out of Burbank, California and (supposedly) soon opening a second base in New Haven, Connecticut. Coincidentally, both airports are 40 minutes from either where I live or grew up.
Avelo Airlines slashes fares up to 50%
Customers can book one-way fares starting at $29 at AveloAir.com. Flights must be booked by August 31, 2021 for travel in September 2021. One-way fares to and from Burbank Airport (BUR). Here are the destinations and fares:
-Redding, California: $29 (51% off)
-Santa Rosa / Sonoma County, California: $29 (51% off)
-Arcata–Eureka, California: $39 (43% off)
-Eugene, Oregon: $39 (43% off)
-Medford, Oregon: $39 (43% off)
-Redmond / Bend, Oregon: $44 (36% off)
-Salt Lake City / Ogden, Utah: $44 (36% off)
-Pasco / Tri-Cities, Washington: $49 (34% off)
-Bozeman, Montana: $59 (25% off)
Alaska Airlines: Save up to 30% on your next flight
Discount code is valid for up to 30% off coach or 10% off First Class base fare levels published at alaskaair.com. Fare basis code information can be found in the section entitled “View Fare and Baggage Rule” on the Itinerary and Price Summary page. Fare types that are ineligible for this discount may be lower than other fares with discount code applied. One discount allowed per reservation. Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, tour or contract fares, and many privately filed fares. Any Discount Code value remaining after purchase is forfeited.
Advance Purchase: Discount may be subject to a 14-day advance purchase requirement.
Purchase By: August 18, 2021
Travel Valid From: August 30, 2021
Travel Complete: November 17, 2021
Blackout Dates: Per fare rules
Southwest Airlines: $49 sale fares just arrived. 3 days only!
Southwest.com: 21-day advance purchase required. Purchase from August 17 through August 19, 2021, 11:59 p.m. Central Time. Continental U.S., continental U.S. to/from Hawaii, and international travel valid September 7 through December 15, 2021. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 7 through December 9, 2021. Continental U.S. travel blacked out November 19-20, November 23-24, and November 27-29, 2021. Continental U.S. to Hawaii travel blacked out November 18-20. Continental U.S. from Hawaii travel blacked out November 26-30, 2021.
JetBlue: $49 one-way & up. Too cool for school
JetBlue: Travel for September 1 to October 30. Book by August 19 (Tues/Wed & Sat travel only)
So there you have it. If you’re looking to get away this fall, it’s a great time to take advantage of the deals. Just be sure to buy them before the deals expire.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.