In yesterday’s tip, I shared a list of airports that have introduced PPE vending machines, from which you can buy face masks, hand sanitizer and more. These are not the only airport vending machines worth writing about, however. In a story from Stuck at the Airport, I just read that Chicago’s O’Hare Airport (ORD) has “Farmer’s Fridge” vending machines in eight locations:
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 1 Gate B20
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 2 Gate F6
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 3 Gate K6 – Right Fridge
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 5 – Gate M5
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 5 – Gate M16
- O’Hare Airport Terminal 5 Arrivals – Right Fridge
- United crew lounge
- American Airlines crew lounge
These airport vending machines offer breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in a variety of fresh options, from bowls to salads (for which the lettuce is chopped by hand and the dressings are made from scratch). I’ve been through ORD countless times, and often I’ve been running to catch another flight or to scramble into the city for a meeting. My go-to place has always been Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless, but the line and wait can be long. So I’m definitely going to try one of the Farmer’s Fridge salads ($8) next time I fly through O’Hare, whenever that is. The specific options in each Farmer’s Fridge are listed below. If you’re interested in the calorie count for the salad and dressings, you can check out the website.
Asian Chopped Salad containing Soy, Tree Nuts (Coconut)
Fresh chopped asian slaw of red and green cabbage, fresh mint and carrots, baby green leaf lettuce, pineapple rice with red bell pepper, toasted coconut, and black sesame seeds. Served with housemade Sesame-Ginger dressing.
Strawberry Spinach Salad containing Milk, Wheat & Tree Nuts (Pecans)
Hand cut strawberries, feta cheese, pecan couscous made with golden raisins, red onion, spices and a touch of maple syrup. Served with spinach greens and housemade balsamic vinaigrette
North Napa Salad containing Milk & Tree Nuts (Pistachio)
Hand-chopped napa cabbage with mixed greens, grapes, cucumber, chickpeas, and avocado topped with dried cherries, feta, and pistachios. Served with housemade balsamic vinaigrette.
Greek Salad containing Milk & Wheat
Greek pasta salad featuring whole wheat rotini, fresh dill, and kalamata olives, spinach, red bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, topped with feta. Served with housemade greek herb vinaigrette.
Southwest Salad containing Milk
Hand-chopped romaine lettuce with black beans, fire-roasted corn, avocado, and grape tomatoes topped with housemade pickled red onions, feta, and pepitas. Served with tangy housemade avocado-lime dressing.
Smoked Cheddar Cobb Salad containing Milk & Eggs
Hand-chopped romaine lettuce with fire-roasted corn, applewood smoked cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes, carrots, topped with hard boiled eggs and smoky bbq sunflower seeds. Served with housemade creamy honey-dijon dressing.
Other good airport vending machines
Have you run into any good airport vending machines (selling food or something else) in your travels? If so please share your experience in the comments below!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.