This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
For a limited time, the Alaska Airlines credit card is offering a $0 companion fare when you buy one ticket at regular price (i.e. buy one get one free). That saves you $121 which is the normal price of a Companion Fare. This is in addition to the normal bonus offer of 30,000 miles after spending $1,000. Learn more on the Alaska Airlines Visa Companion Fare and if you want to take advantage of it before the offer disappears in July 2017.
Getting Your Free Alaska Airlines Companion Pass
After getting approved for the Alaska Airlines credit card, you have three months to spend $1,000. After hitting the spend requirements you will be awarded 30,000 Alaska Airlines miles plus access to a free Companion Fare.
There are no blackout dates for the fare. You do have the pay the taxes & fees of $22, but, you are exempt from paying the normal base fare of $99 ($121 including taxes and fees). And, their Companion Fare is often only awarded as an anniversary bonus so it’s like you’ve already owned the card for an entire year.
Additional Benefits of the Alaska Airlines Credit Card
Along with the generous sign-up bonus, the Alaska Airlines credit card allows you to enjoy the following card benefits:
- Earn 3 points per $1 on all Alaska Airlines and Virgin America flights
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all remaining purchases
- Free checked bag for up to 6 passengers on your itinerary for Alaska Airlines & Virgin America flights
- Alaska Airlines Companion Fare each anniversary year starting at $121 ($99 base fare plus $22 in taxes & fees)
- Redeem miles from leading carriers such as Air France-KLM, American Airlines, British Airways, Virgin America, etc.
- No foreign transaction fee
The free checked bag policy is really generous and the normal Companion Fare price is very reasonable as well.
There are two different versions of the Alaska Airlines credit card available with varying annual fees. The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature costs $75 annually while the Platinum Plus costs $50. Bank of America will determine which card you qualify for at the time of application depending on your creditworthiness.
Redeeming Alaska Airlines Miles
You probably didn’t realize that the Alaska Airlines credit card could be so valuable. They are one of the cheapest ways to fly to Hawaii from the U.S. West Coast for 37,000 miles roundtrip economy.
And, if you’re a fan of the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve, you have probably noticed that your Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed for Alaska Airlines flights through the transfer partner British Airways Avios.
The Alaska Airlines credit card is a great way to diversify from and compliment Ultimate Rewards and other transferable points. And, Alaska Airlines’ reward flights are cheaper to several destinations than some of the larger carriers. This is great news if you have access to an Alaska Airlines hub.
You only have a couple months to take advantage of the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare offer. This can be a great way to get a free ticket (plus $22 taxes & fees) to fly a discount flight to Hawaii or another vacation destination on a top-notch carrier. And, the Alaska Airlines credit card can be a great way to supplement the point balance you already have from one of your current travel rewards credit cards.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.