Update: As of June 12, Allianz has received 100+ trip cancellation requests from travelers booked for the U.K.
In the wake of recent terrorist activity in the U.K., some American travelers, at least, are amending plans to visit London.
Our friends at Allianz Global Assistance have shared that, as of June 6, they had received 70 claims from U.S. travelers looking to cancel trips to London. All 70 claims come in the aftermath of the May 22 attack in Manchester and likely of the London Bridge attack.
The news comes after an earlier post this week in which London topped an Allianz list of top summer destinations for American travelers. At the time the Allianz survey was completed, London was looking at a 37% increase in travelers (based on percentage of surveyed travelers) from the summer of 2016. The full findings of this survey are below:
On the subject of cancellations, Allianz writes that: “Allianz Travel Insurance provides coverage for trip cancellation and trip interruption when there is a terrorist incident at the customer’s destination within 30 days of their arrival. If there is a terrorist event at the customer’s location while they are there, they can interrupt their trip and travel insurance will cover unused non-refundable expenses plus extra expenses to return home on short notice.”
Of course, the hope is that terrorism won’t deter people from traveling, and so far that seems to be the case for the majority of Americans. The news of the 70 claims also points to the value of travel insurance in these times—which of course Allianz provides, as above. Here’s my post on my thoughts on travel insurance and my Allianz annual plan.
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.