The seventh-annual Allianz Travel Insurance Vacation Confidence Index is out, and the numbers tell us something about the American travel psyche. Americans are projected to spend $89.9 billion on summer vacations in 2016, up from $85.5 billion in 2015. (Allianz defines a vacation as “a leisure trip of at least a week to a place that is 100 miles or more from home.”)
Still, some Americans are a little less sure that they’ll go on vacation this summer. Thirty-four percent of Americans are not confident that they’ll take a summer vacation this year, up three points from 2015’s number. The four in ten (43%) that are confident they’ll get a summer vacation in this year, meanwhile, marks a drop from 46% last year (the highest figure seen since 2010).
As for spending: The Vacation Confidence Index also revealed that the average American household that’s at least somewhat confident it will take a vacation this summer will spend $1,798 on average—up roughly 11% from last year’s average of $1,621.
Here are the findings as an infographic:
“With vacation spending up, travel insurance should be near the top of the trip planning checklist,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance.
Planning to travel this summer? Where to? Let us know in the comments!
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.