Domestically, Orlando (8.8%) took the top spot, as it did in AAA’s survey. Following Orlando were New York City (5.5%), Las Vegas (5.4%), Los Angeles (4%), Honolulu (3.1%), Miami (3.1%), Seattle (3%), Boston (2.9%), Fort Lauderdale (2.9%), and San Francisco (2.6%).
Internationally, Cancun (15.7%) drew the largest share of bookings in Allianz’s survey for the second year in a row. In fact, outside of London and Paris, the results show a strong interest in Caribbean destinations. Cancun was followed on the list by: Higüey, Dominican Republic (7.8%); Montego Bay, Jamaica (5.8%); Nassau, Bahamas (4.3%); San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico (4.3%); Aruba Island, Aruba (4%); London, England (3.5%); San Juan, Puerto Rico (2.9%); Paris, France (2.8%); and finally Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (2.5%). Of particular note here is Puerto Rico’s appearance on American travel radar less than a year after Hurricane Maria made landfall.
As for the differences between the two lists (Allianz’s and AAA’s), the inclusion of September in Allianz’s analysis can likely be attributed—but in any case, the destinations on both lists are expected to draw big numbers during a big summer travel season. Take note!
“This year’s results yielded some interesting findings: New York is a newcomer to the list, revealing that travelers are not only interested in beach destinations this summer,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications for Allianz Global Assistance USA. “And despite recent travel warnings and last year’s Hurricane Maria, Americans are still choosing to travel to Cancun and Puerto Rico. No matter where you are headed this season, travel insurance is an investment that can offer peace of mind and help protect your financial investment.”
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.