Earlier this month, we shared the results of an AAA survey revealing the summer travel plans of Americans who’ve already booked trips. Today, we bring you the results of Allianz Global Assistance‘s own survey on the subject, which uses booking data from an extended summer window (May 28, 2018 through September 3, 2018, compared with AAA’s June 1 and August 15). The results are similar, but not identical…
Domestically, Orlando (8.8%) took the top spot, as it did in AAA’s survey. Following Orlando were New York City (5.5%), Las Vegas (5.4%), Los Angeles (4%), Honolulu (3.1%), Miami (3.1%), Seattle (3%), Boston (2.9%), Fort Lauderdale (2.9%), and San Francisco (2.6%).
Internationally, Cancun (15.7%) drew the largest share of bookings in Allianz’s survey for the second year in a row. In fact, outside of London and Paris, the results show a strong interest in Caribbean destinations. Cancun was followed on the list by: Higüey, Dominican Republic (7.8%); Montego Bay, Jamaica (5.8%); Nassau, Bahamas (4.3%); San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico (4.3%); Aruba Island, Aruba (4%); London, England (3.5%); San Juan, Puerto Rico (2.9%); Paris, France (2.8%); and finally Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (2.5%). Of particular note here is Puerto Rico’s appearance on American travel radar less than a year after Hurricane Maria made landfall.
As for the differences between the two lists (Allianz’s and AAA’s), the inclusion of September in Allianz’s analysis can likely be attributed—but in any case, the destinations on both lists are expected to draw big numbers during a big summer travel season. Take note!
“This year’s results yielded some interesting findings: New York is a newcomer to the list, revealing that travelers are not only interested in beach destinations this summer,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications for Allianz Global Assistance USA. “And despite recent travel warnings and last year’s Hurricane Maria, Americans are still choosing to travel to Cancun and Puerto Rico. No matter where you are headed this season, travel insurance is an investment that can offer peace of mind and help protect your financial investment.”
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.