At the dawn of fall 2016, Zika continues to be on the minds of American travelers, and Zika-affected areas are seeing their tourist numbers affected.
A recent study by our friends at Allianz Global Assistance revealed that Florida, always a popular winter destination, will be particularly hard-hit by Zika fears. The number of travelers planning to fly to Florida this fall/winter (based on bookings in August) is down 14.8% compared to the number recorded for the same period last year. The damage is expected to be concentrated in Miami and Tampa, where locally transmitted Zika has been very public. The Allianz data shows a 29% drop in planned travelers to Miami, with a smaller (but significant) 12.4% drop in planned travel spread across the rest of the state. See the data above for more.
“The publicity surrounding the discovery of locally-transmitted Zika virus cases in South Florida has had an immediate and dramatic impact on the intent of travelers to book vacations to Florida during the peak travel season,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance USA.
The results come in the wake of the CDC’s August 1 travel advisory concerning travel to the Miami Wynwood neighborhood, and then an August 19 update that included a larger chunk of the city. Here’s the CDC’s most recent advisory, which was issued on September 17.
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.