I always advise double- and triple-checking your seat reservations, especially when you book a flight far in advance. Fortunately, I followed my own advice and just checked my reservation for my Toronto-Los Angeles-Honolulu (YYZ-LAX-HNL) flight in late December. I had purchased first-class one-way tickets for my family with American Airlines (AA) back in February because they were on sale (and cheaper than what it usually costs to fly coach LAX-HNL).
Well, I was surprised to notice that the routing had changed in my reservation. We were no longer booked on the YYZ-LAX nonstop and instead were flying YYZ-ORD-LAX-HNL (now stopping in Chicago O’Hare en route to LAX). At first, I thought it was because I’d paid such a low price for the flights, and there are only eight first-class seats on their once-a-day YYZ-LAX flight, operated by the tiny A319.
S0 I checked to see if the AA nonstop flight was still available, and it wasn’t! The airline had apparently discontinued the flight. I then checked Google Flights and did a calendar search for Toronto-to-Los Angeles, nonstop, on American Airlines. Sure enough, it’s not available after December 18, 2018 (see screenshot below).
I’m so bummed American Airlines is discontinuing its nonstop Los Angeles-to-Toronto (and vice versa) flight for a number of reasons. One is that I’m in bed with AA’s frequent flier program so I have elite status, which comes with a lot of perks like free upgrades, baggage, seat assignments, and ticket changes. The other is that nonstop flights between the two cities are only going to go up in price since now there will be only two carriers (Air Canada and WestJet) instead of three. Less competition means more expensive.
If you booked a Los Angeles-Toronto (or vice versa) ticket between the two cities for after December 18, check your reservations. I confirmed via Twitter that American Airlines is indeed discontinuing the flight and connections will now be through Chicago, Charlotte or Philadelphia.
That’s correct, the nonstop service will be replaced with connections through ORD, CLT and PHL.
— American Airlines (@AmericanAir) September 15, 2018
The worst part is that American never alerted me to the change. I’m glad I didn’t find out at the last minute when all the alternative flights were booked full. If you’re not happy with the flight they rebooked you on, call and change it as I did. Since the airline changed its schedule, you should have some wiggle room to possibly even get a refund if you don’t want to make a connection.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.