I was just asked to participate in a conference in San Francisco later this week and when I went to purchase my tickets on AA.com, I discovered something very interesting – they’ve eliminated the free 24-hour hold option for tickets booked within seven days or fewer of your scheduled flight. See screenshot below.
Although the Department of Transportation’s (DOT) rule applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time, American Airlines has had their free hold option available ever since the rule was mandated in 2011 until this week (at least that’s when I noticed it had disappeared). That’s a huge disappointment since I use this option often — especially when I’m using miles for reward tickets as their inventory changes drastically on last-minute tickets.
The good news is that American and all U.S. and foreign carriers have to allow consumers the ability “to hold a reservation at the quoted fare for 24 hours without payment or allow a reservation to be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty.” But if you’re booking a ticket with less than seven days before you fly, this rule doesn’t apply. See link to the DOT’s full rule (PDF).
Note: American Airlines is the only airline that I’m aware of that allows consumers to hold a reservation without a credit card for 24 hours, making it much easier to cancel.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.