This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
It’s easier to earn bonus points and statement credits with most American Express credit cards in 2020. Likely, most of our spending habits are going to be different for the second half of 2020 than the start of the year. Let’s see how you can maximize your home and business purchases.
Streaming and Wireless Telephone Services
Some American Express credit cards already earn bonus points on U.S.-based streaming plans and wireless phone services. One of the best examples is the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
These additional cards will earn statement credits for a limited time.
Platinum Card from American Express (Expired)
Both the Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express can earn up to $20 in monthly statement credits. You can earn up to $320 in total credits with either card by earning the full credit from May through December 2020.
American Express Green Card (Expired)
The recently revamped consumer American Express® Green Card earns up to $80 in total statement credits, but only on wireless telephone services, not streaming services. You get up to $10 per month, from May through December 2020.
Takeout, Food Delivery, and Groceries
Restaurants and groceries are already popular bonus categories. The personal American Express® Gold Card earns up to 4x Membership Rewards points on dining worldwide (including delivery and takeaway) and at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 annually, then 1x). American Express Gold Card also comes with a $120 dining credit—cardholders earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120, enrollment required.
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months. The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
These credit cards are now earning points at U.S. supermarkets and restaurants, adding to the American Express credit cards bonus categories extension.
Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards (Expired)
The personal Delta credit cards will earn 4 SkyMiles per $1 at U.S. supermarkets for May, June, and July 2020.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
Note that the grocery store bonus doesn’t apply to the small business Delta SkyMiles credit cards.
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Expired)
The luxury Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card gets two limited-time upgrades:
- Earn 6x Bonvoy points on the first $7,500 at U.S. supermarkets (May through July 2020)
- U.S. restaurant purchases count toward the $300 Marriott Bonvoy statement credit (June through August 2020)
The legacy Marriott Bonvoy credit card (i.e., the old SPG credit card), earns 6x Bonvoy points on U.S. supermarket purchases too. You get 6x points on the first $7,500 in combined spending from May through July.
Hilton Honors Credit Cards
All bonus points you earn on any Hilton Honors American Express credit cards are considered “base points” for the rest of 2020. That means 100% of the points you earn count toward Hilton Honors elite tier status and lifetime Diamond status.
Select consumer Hilton credit cards earn bonus points on dining and grocery purchases too.
Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card (Expired)
The information for the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The premium Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card has bonuses for grocery and restaurant purchases this summer:
- Earn 12x points at U.S. supermarkets from May through July 2020
- U.S. restaurant purchase count toward $250 Hilton resort credit from June through August 2020
Remote Work (Expired)
Do you telecommute when you usually don’t? Most American Express business cards already earn bonus points on remote work purchases.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express is boosting their remote work rewards in 2020:
- Additional $200 statement credit in Shop Dell business purchases (already $200 per year)
- Receive $100 credit from May 1 through June 30, 2020
- Receive second $100 credit from July 1 to December 31, 2020)
- Up to $320 in statement credits on U.S. wireless telephone service providers
- Up to $20 per month from May through December 2020
- Free Shop Small templates and resources
- Fee waivers for Resy through December 2020 (new and existing Resy customers)
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express continues to be a good option for your flight and hotel purchases. You can earn 5x Membership Rewards on flights and prepaid hotels booked on AmexTravel.com. Additionally, cardholders can get a 35% airline bonus when using their points to pay for all or part of a flight with a qualifying airline booked on amextravel.com, up to 500,000 bonus points annually. Plus, all purchases above $5,000 net 1.5x points instead of the standard 1 point per $1 award rate, up to 1 million points annually.
The annual fee is $595 (See Rates & Fees).
These American Express credit cards bonus categories are a welcome addition to many still looking for ways to maximize their new spending routine.
In conclusion, American Express seems to be the trendsetter in credit card extensions this year so let’s see what else happens.
- Best Credit Cards for Grocery Purchases That Earn Rewards
- The Best Metal Credit Cards
- Best Credit Cards for Free Hotel Nights
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.