This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You may want to double check your American Express Priority Pass benefits the next time you have a long layover. Starting August 1, 2019, the Pass is only valid at actual American Express Priority Pass lounge locations and select sleeper suites. Priority Pass has over 1,200 lounges and experiences that will still be accessible. However, non-lounge locations will no longer be accessible for free.
This change means you will no longer enjoy food and beverage credits (usually $28) at airport experiences and outlets. These places include airport restaurants, bars, and cafes. Depending on which airport you travel through, this change can greatly restrict your American Express Priority Pass options. You will need to either access the Priority Pass-operated lounges or a partner airline lounge.
For instance, if traveling through Miami International Airport, you will no longer get the $28 bill credit at Air Margaritaville, Corona Beach House, or Viena. But you can still access the Club America (Priority Pass Lounge) or Avianca’s VIP Lounge if you meet the entry requirements.
Cards Affected By the American Express Priority Pass Changes
This change goes into effect August 1, 2019, for the following American Express credit cards, some of which are considered the best travel credit cards due to their benefits:
- Platinum Card from American Express
- Centurion Consumer and Business Cards from American Express
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
As one of the largest airport lounge networks, this benefit cut is a setback. Thankfully, you still have other lounge network options if you own The Platinum Card® from American Express or Centurion Card. An increasing number of airports have Centurion Lounges plus access to the other Global Lounge Collection partners including Delta Sky Club.
Cardholders can check which locations are accessible through the Priority Pass website or on the mobile app. There do not appear to be any additional changes to the Priority Pass benefits at this time.
The American Express Priority Pass benefits are only valid at actual lounges starting August 1, 2019. Before this date, you can still get the food and beverage credit at select non-lounge airport experiences.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.