This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
American Express offers two flexible travel rewards cards for business travelers. Your two options are the American Express® Business Gold Card and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. Both cards cater to different types of business purchases, but you can still redeem your Membership Rewards points for award travel or cash rewards. Let’s see what is the best option for you. So who wins between the Amex Business Gold and the Amex Business Platinum?
85,000 Points Business Platinum Card® from American Express
70,000 Points: Business Platinum Card® from American Express:
As you might guess by the card names, the American Express® Business Gold Card has a lower annual fee. Of course, you will get fewer card benefits than the Business Platinum Card, so you will have to weigh that tradeoff.
Neither of these business credit cards charges a foreign transaction fee.
American Express Gold and Platinum Welcome Offers
Amex Business Gold: There’s a limited-time offer available now. The welcome bonus is the ability to earn 70,000 points after spending $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of account opening (terms apply). Additionally, earn up to $300 in statement credits on eligible U.S. advertising and U.S. shipping purchases ($150 on eligible U.S. advertising and $150 on eligible U.S. shipping purchases—terms and cap apply).
Amex Business Platinum: Up to 85,000 Bonus Points: New cardholders have the opportunity to earn 85,000 Membership Rewards as part of the welcome offer. To earn the 85,000 bonus points, you will need to spend $15,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Additionally, you earn 5x points on eligible purchases in 5 select business categories, up to 80,000 bonus points per category, also within the first 3 months of card membership.
Amex Business Gold: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month
Amex Business Platinum: 5x points on select purchases
Both cards earn American Express Membership Rewards Points. But, you’ll need to pick which earning option is more lucrative for you.
Business Gold Card
The Business Gold bonus allows you to get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month.
To calculate your top 2 categories each billing cycle, Amex looks at your account transactions that fall into the 6 categories below. They then issue additional points based on your 2 highest categories of total spend. These select categories include:
- airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines (charter flights and private jet flights are excluded)
- advertising purchased in the U.S. to promote your business online, on television, or on the radio
- computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases in the U.S. made directly from select technology providers (the current list of select technology providers is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info)
- gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)
- restaurants located in the U.S.
- shipping services purchased in the U.S. for courier, postal, and freight
Note that these 4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year. All other purchases earn 1x point per $1 spent.
Additionally, cardholders also have access to a Pay Over Time Option, which is a flexible payment option, with interest, to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more (terms apply).
American Express Business Platinum Card
The purchase rewards tiers are more straightforward with The Business Platinum Card® from American Express:
- 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked on AmexTravel.com
- 1.5x points on all purchases greater than $5,000 (up to one million annually)
- 1x point on all remaining purchases
Frequent flyers benefit the most from the Business Platinum because of the 5x bonus, it’s the highest reward rate for any travel rewards card when it comes to airline purchases.
Big card spenders can also benefit greatly from the 1.5x large purchase bonus too.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
The Business Platinum has one exclusive redemption option. Not even the personal Platinum Card from American Express has this benefit!
Business Platinum Card 35% Redemption Bonus
Additionally, cardholders can get a 35% airline bonus when using their points to pay for all or part of a flight with a qualifying airline booked on amextravel.com, up to 500,000 bonus points annually.
If you redeem 5,000 points on an award flight, you will get 1,750 points back for a future redemption.
1:1 Point Transfers
Your points have a maximum redemption value of 1 cent on air travel or gift cards when you redeem them directly through American Express. They can be more valuable if you can transfer them to a 1:1 airline or hotel travel partner.
With the Business Platinum, your transferred points need to be worth at least 1.35 cents once you factor in the 35% redemption bonus.
Some of the most valuable Membership Rewards transfer partners include:
- British Airways
- Delta SkyClub
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Additional Card Benefits
The Platinum Card earns its weight in platinum with the additional card benefits. Before we cover those, let’s review which benefits both cards share:
- Purchase Protection
- Extended Warranty
- Baggage Insurance (Up to $1,250 for Gold and up to $3,000 for Platinum)
- Premium Roadside Assistance
- Employee Expense Management Tools
For the most part, the Amex Business Gold primarily focuses on earning bonus points on your most common business purchases. In turn, you can redeem them for award travel on Amex Travel or transfer them to a 1:1 travel partner. You probably won’t choose the Business Gold specifically for its additional card benefits.
Platinum Business Card
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is full of additional travel benefits that primarily benefit frequent flyers:
- $200 airline fee credit
- Complimentary access to six airport lounge networks
- Global Entry/TSA Precheck application fee reimbursement
- 35% airline redemption bonus (up to 500,000 points per calendar year)
- Enroll to get up to $200 in annual Dell statement credits (cardholders get up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. Dell purchases – terms apply)
If you can benefit from these travel benefits, it can be worth springing for the Business Platinum.
When to Apply For the Amex Business Gold
You should apply for the Amex Business Gold in these instances:
- Earn more from the 4x bonus categories
- You benefit from 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel (up to 250,000 points back per calendar year)
- Won’t benefit from the Business Platinum’s additional travel benefits
- Can’t meet the Business Platinum welcome bonus spending requirements
Once again, you may also enjoy the Business Gold because of its multiple bonus categories.
When to Apply for the Amex Business Platinum
The Amex Business Platinum is the better option if you can enjoy these benefits:
- Want to earn 5x points on airline purchases
- Make $5,000 purchases
- Benefit from the premium air travel benefits
- Can use the $200 air travel credit (effectively reduces the annual fee to $250)
You will benefit most from this card if you can maximize the air travel rewards and benefits. Making a large purchase is also a huge bonus too.
Summary on the Amex Business Platinum vs Business Gold Cards
Both of these American Express business cards let you earn Membership Rewards. More importantly, you have access to 1:1 point transfers which makes each point more valuable than the average card rewards point. Pick the card that offers the most useful purchase rewards and additional benefits for you and you can’t go wrong.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Business Gold Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Business Platinum Card®, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.