This is the fifth and final part of Laura Pedrick’s series exploring New York’s 1000 Islands region.
Before we depart the next morning, we sit down for a lovely breakfast at the Sherman Inn. Owner John’s partner Carlos prepares for us a green apple, kale and raspberry smoothie; a pecan-and-almond oatmeal; and a pizza frittata with Italian sausage. By the way, the $125 daily rate includes breakfast. It was just the energy we needed for our morning kayaking trip in Chippewa Bay—our final 1000 Islands activity before heading to the airport for home.
Kayaking on Chippewa Bay
On our final day in Thousand Islands, we rent kayaks from the Riverbay Adventure Inn at $20 per on-top kayak per half day and set out into the cool, clear waters of Chippewa Bay.
Our original intention is to paddle out to Singer Castle but instead, we decide to spend time in Cedar Island State Park, where we can park our kayaks on shore and swim. From the picnic pavilion, built around 1900, we can see the castle. After enjoying our stay for a bit too long, we high-tail it out and furiously paddle back to the inn so we can make the two-hour drive to Syracuse for our afternoon flights home.
Back to Syracuse—and then home
All ends well. We return the rental cars within minutes of being charged an extra day, say our goodbyes in the parking garage and head for our gates. Despite the small inconvenience brought by sore arms from paddling, on the plane I doze off briefly and peacefully dream of the 1000 Islands—and for just a moment, think that I’m still there. I can always return next summer.
This is the fifth and final part in Laura Pedrick’s series exploring New York’s 1000 Islands region. Check out:
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.