As airlines continue trying to maximize their revenues, new flight-related tools and apps are popping up every day. One thing the airlines have started doing is auctioning off their empty premium-class seats. It’s obviously bad news for frequent flyers but great news for travelers who want to fly in style without breaking the bank or becoming a frequent flyer.
Some airlines have bidding programs in place that let travelers bid on premium seats days before a flight. I experienced this first-hand when I was successful in getting upgraded to/from Newark-Stockholm on SAS in June (here’s that story).
Now, thanks to a free app called SeatBoost (free on Android and iOS), there’s a new way to bid. With SeatBoost, you just enter your flight number, select the type of upgrade you want, and start bidding. It’s free to use, and you only pay when you win. The kicker is that the auction begins just 90 minutes before departure, and ends right before boarding begins. SeatBoost is currently only live on select Virgin America flights and routes, but more may be on the way.
There’s a leaderboard that lets you see where you stand throughout the auction, putting you in control of your upgrade. In the last 30 seconds, only the top five participants can “play,” and although I haven’t played, I can understand when they say that it really can transform your wait time into game time.
Have you tried SeatBoost? What do you think about it?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.