Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Buzzy G. in Israel, who says:
“When changing currency in an airport (or bank), ask to see the commission fee or percentage before beginning the transaction, or even handing over your passport.
“At the airport in Rome I exchanged dollars for euro, expecting to receive the exchange rate displayed in large print at the booth. I gave the teller $100 and my passport, yet received only €67 in return: from the exchange rate that promised €82, a whopping €15 was deducted in commission. When I insisted on canceling the transaction, he pointed to the small, illegible print at the bottom of the list of exchange rates spelling out the commission, and told me he could not reverse the transaction because he had already scanned my passport.
“I always use a credit card that charges no fee for foreign transactions, but thought that I would use local currency for vending machines in the transit lounge (which are cheaper than the snack bars). It turns out, however, that many machines in Europe are now equipped to handle credit card payments for as little as €1, by simply tapping a ‘contactless’ pad.”
A great tool for exchanging currency
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,551!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.