I was just in Miami to attend the South Beach Wine & Food Festival as a guest of Certified Angus Beef, which supplies meat to some of the city’s top restaurants—including Joe’s Stone Crab (11 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139). Joe’s is one of south Florida’s most iconic and historic restaurants and during my stay, I not only got to dine there but was also given a behind-the-scenes tour by the man himself: Executive Chef André Bienvenu.
Chef Bienvenu grew up in my home state of Connecticut, so right off the bat I knew he was a cool guy. After graduating from Johnson & Wales University with Culinary Arts and Occupational Science degrees, he spent years at honing his craft at numerous Hyatt properties. Then he took over the kitchen at Joe’s Stone Crab, even then one of the busiest independent single restaurants in America.
Here’s what I learned about Joe’s Stone Crab from my tour:
Joe’s Stone Crab has been around for 102 years and now takes up a whole city block! There are 400 employees in the high season, which runs from mid-October to mid-May. During that time period, the restaurant usually does 700 lunches and between 1,200 and 1,600 dinners. Insane, right? They have 48 boats that deliver stone crabs in season. In the summer, part of the restaurant shuts down and they open Wednesday-Sunday only, serving between 400 and 800 dinners. In August, September and part of October, they close the whole place down to do repairs since the building is so old.
Joe’s is run by a mother-and-son team made up of supposedly the nicest people in the business. They treat their employees so well that most have worked there for double-digit years. The mother is 84, and you can usually find her bussing tables. Joe’s also includes an amazing shipping business (they only ship domestically) so you can always find a UPS truck parked out back.
When Chef André Bienvenu started working at Joe’s Stone Crab, just 3% of sales came from meat. Then he started using Certified Angus Beef and brought in a own smoke master, and now meat sales are 18% of the business.
Although Bienvenu has appeared on several major television shows, he prefers not to be in front of the camera.
The coolest thing I learned from the tour is that Joe’s Stone Crab offers a private chef’s table that’s unadvertised. To experience it, André said all people have to do is call him up (305-673-0365) and make a reservation. It’s only big enough for two people and costs $300 per couple. He said they should dress casual and recognize that it’s a crazy atmosphere where waiters will probably be bumping into them while they move around to cook their food. That’s right: Guests can even cook their food!
Joe’s doesn’t take reservations for the main restaurant and the who’s who of Miami is usually in there. While I was there for lunch, I saw Andrew Zimmern, Emeril Lagasse, and Bobby Flay, and I heard Rachel Ray was there, too—and they were all at different tables.
Dishes range from Joe’s famous fried chicken (above) for $6.95 to 3 jumbo stone crab legs for $89.95.
Have you been? What did you think of Joe’s Stone Crabs?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.