This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
What are the best business credit cards for consultants? As a business consultant, you most likely spend a fair amount of your work week traveling between clients. These business credit cards will help you maximize your travel and dining expenses. Plus, you might enjoy a few extra card benefits as well.
6 Best Business Credit Cards For Consultants
Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is in high demand for a reason. It’s easy to earn bonus points and your points can be worth more when redeeming for travel compared to other travel credit cards.
Each year you earn 3x on the first $150,000 in combined spending for these purchases:
- Shipping Purchases
- Internet, Phone, and Cable Services
- Search Engine and Social Media Advertising
When it comes to redeeming your rewards points, travel redemption is oftentimes the most valuable option. You get a 25% redemption bonus when booking award travel on the Chase travel portal. But your points can be worth more with the many 1:1 transfer partners including United, Southwest, Hyatt, and Marriott.
To book award travel sooner, the current signup bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points is worth $1,250 thanks to the 25% travel redemption bonus. To earn the 100k, spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
One reason why you might hold off on applying for the Ink Business Preferred is that it’s subject to the notorious Chase “5/24 Rule.” If you have five or more new credit cards in the last 24 months, Chase will decline your application for the Ink Business Preferred and many other fine rewards cards.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express
While there are many premium cards in the consumer card space, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is a novelty. It comes with many air travel benefits other cards don’t offer.
For starters, you can earn an impressive 5x Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent on air travel and prepaid hotels booked on AmexTravel.com. Remember that most credit cards award up to 3 points per $1 for airfare.
Additionally, cardholders can get a 35% airline bonus when using their points to pay for all or part of a flight with a qualifying airline booked on amextravel.com, up to 500,000 bonus points annually. They also get a 50% bonus (1.5 points per $1) on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (up to 1 million points annually).
Your most valuable redemption options are booking award flights as you can get 35% of your redeemed points back. The 1:1 airline transfer partners of Amex Membership Rewards like Delta, Emirates, and Aer Lingus are great options too.
Other lucrative air travel benefits you get include:
- Up to $200 annual airline fee credit (in the form of statement credits) for incidental fees at one select qualifying airline
- Free access to airport lounges including Centurion, Priority Pass, and Delta Sky Club
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit with these credit cards
Another business perk you may appreciate is a Dell Small Business statement credit. To get the credit, cardholders must enroll to get up to $200 in annual Dell statement credits (cardholders get up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. Dell purchases – terms apply).
New cardholders have the opportunity to earn 85,000 Membership Rewards as part of the welcome offer. To earn the 85,000 bonus points, you will need to spend $15,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Additionally, you earn 5x points on eligible purchases in 5 select business categories, up to 80,000 bonus points per category, also within the first 3 months of card membership.
The annual fee is $595 (See Rates & Fees).
United Business Card
- First checked bag free for you and one companion
- Priority boarding
- Two one-time United Club passes each year
- Space-available Premier Upgrades for MileagePlus Premier members
You can also earn unlimited 2 miles per $1 spent on these purchases:
- United purchases
- Restaurants and eligible delivery services
- Gas Stations
- Local transit and commutes
- Office Supply Stores
Additional business benefits include:
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- New cardholders can earn 60,000 miles after making qualifying purchases
- 5,000 bonus miles each card anniversary when you have the United Business Card and a personal United credit card
United℠ Business Card cardholders also get a $100 United travel credit after qualifying purchases. Note that the $99 annual fee is waived the first year. There are no foreign transaction fees.
It also comes with a 60,000 bonus miles offer after making qualifying purchases. That can be enough miles to book one roundtrip domestic flights in the main cabin or a single roundtrip when you fly first class. That signup bonus can bump this card to being one of the best credit cards for travel miles.
Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is one of the most elite business airline credit cards. If you fly Delta often it’s worth a look. Even if you don’t fly Delta enough to justify the $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), don’t forget there are the Platinum and Gold Delta business versions too.
Owning the Delta Reserve for Business lets you enjoy these Delta benefits:
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club Access and Centurion Lounge access when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve card
- Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding
- Free Checked Bag
- Earn 3x SkyMiles on direct eligible Delta purchases
After you spend $150,000 on your Card in a calendar year, you earn 1.5 Miles per dollar (that’s an extra half mile per dollar) on eligible purchases the rest of the year. If your purchase qualifies for a category that has a higher mileage accelerator, only the higher accelerator will apply.
Cardholders can also earn an additional 15,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $30,000 on eligible purchases in a calendar year, up to four times per year. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different from the miles you earn toward flights.
New cardholders can earn 45,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $4,000 in purchases on their new card in the first 3 months.
Hilton Honors Business Credit Card
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card can be a sweet deal if you enjoy staying within one of the many Hilton hotel brands including Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Home2, or Hilton Garden Inn. Of course, don’t forget the upscale brands like Conrad or Waldorf Astoria if you have the privilege of consulting high profile clients.
To get the most value from this card, plan on spending at least $15,000 annually to get a free weekend night certificate. Spending another $45,000 (or $60,000 a year) gives you a second free night certificate.
Each year, you also get 10 free Priority Pass airport lounge visits and complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status that gives you complimentary hotel breakfast and space-available room upgrades.
You also have the chance to rack up the Hilton Honors points as follows (terms and limitations apply):
- 12x points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio
- 6x points on select business and travel purchases
- 3x points on all other eligible remaining purchases
New cardholders can also earn 130,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 in eligible purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. There is a $95 annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card comes with some great Marriott Bonvoy benefits:
- One free night award each card anniversary (up to 35,000 points)
- Premium on-property internet and Boingo wifi hotspot access
- Earn 6x points at participating Marriott purchases
- Earn 4x points on for U.S. gas stations, U.S. restaurants, shipping from U.S. providers, and wireless phone purchases also from the U.S.
You can earn a second free night by spending at least $60,000 in a calendar year. Another exciting reason to consider this card is the flexible point redemption options. Free hotel nights start at 5,000 points but you can also find value in redeeming them for award flights with the Air+Car Transfer Program.
Cardholders can also enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status. They can earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on their card in a calendar year.
New Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card cardholders can earn 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after making $3,000 in purchases within your first 3 months of card membership.
The annual fee is $125 (See Rates & Fees), which can easily be offset with the free annual night certificate.
Summary of the Best Business Credit Cards for Consultants
You should pick the card that helps you get more value from the airline or hotel you travel with the most. Other bonus categories like gas stations or dining rewards can also be pivotal in making your decision. With any of these cards, you can get more mileage from each dollar you spend on the business.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 6 Best Business Credit Cards For Consultants
- 2 Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
- 3 The Business Platinum Card from American Express
- 4 United Business Card
- 5 Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card
- 6 Hilton Honors Business Credit Card
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
- 8 Summary of the Best Business Credit Cards for Consultants