This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
What are the best business credit cards for consultants? As a business consultant, you most likely spend a fair amount of your work week traveling between clients. These business credit cards will help you maximize your travel and dining expenses. Plus, you might enjoy a few extra card benefits as well.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
6 Best Business Credit Cards For Consultants
Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is in high demand for a reason. It’s easy to earn bonus points and your points can be worth more when redeeming for travel compared to other travel cards.
Each year you earn 3x on the first $150,000 in combined spending for these purchases:
- Shipping Purchases
- Internet, Phone, and Cable Services
- Search Engine and Social Media Advertising
When it comes to redeeming your rewards points, travel redemption is oftentimes the most valuable option. You get a 25% redemption bonus when booking award travel on the Chase travel portal. But your points can be worth more with the many 1:1 transfer partners including United, Southwest, Hyatt, and Marriott.
To book award travel sooner, the current signup bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points is worth $1,250 thanks to the 25% travel redemption bonus. To earn the 100k, spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
One reason why you might hold off on applying for the Ink Business Preferred is that it’s subject to the notorious Chase “5/24 Rule.” If you have five or more new credit cards in the last 24 months, Chase will decline your application for the Ink Business Preferred and many other fine rewards cards.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express
While there are many premium cards in the consumer card space, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is a novelty. It comes with many air travel benefits other cards don’t offer.
For starters, you can earn an impressive 5x Membership Rewards® points per $1 spent on air travel and prepaid hotels booked on AmexTravel.com. Remember that most cards award up to 3 points per $1 for airfare.
Additionally, cardholders can get a 35% airline bonus when using their points to pay for all or part of a flight with a qualifying airline booked on amextravel.com, up to 500,000 bonus points annually.
Your most valuable redemption options are booking award flights as you can get 35% of your redeemed points back. The 1:1 airline transfer partners of Amex Membership Rewards like Delta, Emirates, and Aer Lingus are great options too.
Cardholders earn 1.5x Membership Rewards® points for each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. They also earn 1.5x Membership Rewards® points on eligible U.S. purchases in the following select business categories (up to $2 million per calendar year):
- Construction material and hardware suppliers
- Electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers
- Shipping providers
Additionally, unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases with your Card, including up to $400 with Dell Technologies (up to $200 semi-annually), up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe, and up to $120 on wireless telephone purchases. Enrollment required.
Plus, get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline. Other airport benefits include a $179 annual CLEAR® credit when you use your Card to enroll in CLEAR® membership and access to more than 1,300 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting with The American Express Global Lounge Collection®.
New The Business Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders have the opportunity to earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.24% to 22.24% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
This card does have an annual fee of $595 ($695 if the application is received on or after 1/13/2022; See Rates & Fees).
United Business Card
- First checked bag free for you and one companion (terms apply)
- Priority boarding
- Two one-time United Club passes each year
- Space-available Premier Upgrades for MileagePlus Premier members
You can also earn unlimited 2 miles per $1 spent on these purchases:
- United purchases
- Dining (including eligible delivery services)
- Gas Stations
- Local transit and commuting
- Office Supply Stores
Additional business benefits include:
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- 5,000 bonus miles each card anniversary when you have the United Business Card and a personal United credit card
New United℠ Business Card cardholders can earn 75,000 miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months the account is open. There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
With perks like a free first checked bag (a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip—terms apply), 2 United Club one-time passes per year, and priority boarding privileges, the United Business Card has plenty to offer.
Additionally, cardholders can also enjoy unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for one year with DashPass, DoorDash’s membership service. Activate by 12/31/21.
United℠ Business Card cardholders also get a $100 United travel credit after 7 United flight purchases of $100 or more each anniversary year. Note there is a $99 annual fee. There are no foreign transaction fees.
That signup bonus can bump this card to being one of the best credit cards for travel miles.
Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is one of the most elite business airline cards. If you fly Delta often it’s worth a look. Even if you don’t fly Delta enough to justify the $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), don’t forget there are the Platinum and Gold Delta business versions too.
Owning the Delta Reserve for Business lets you enjoy these Delta benefits:
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club Access and Centurion Lounge access when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve card
- Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding
- Free Checked Bag
- Earn 3x SkyMiles on direct eligible Delta purchases
- Terms apply
When you purchase a Delta flight with your Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card, you will receive complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge or Escape Lounge – The Centurion® Studio Partner.
After you spend $150,000 on your Card in a calendar year, you earn 1.5 Miles per dollar (that’s an extra half mile per dollar) on eligible purchases the rest of the year. If your purchase qualifies for a category that has a higher mileage accelerator, only the higher accelerator will apply (ex: you would earn 3X miles on purchases made directly with Delta instead of 1.5X).
Cardholders can also earn an additional 15,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $30,000 in purchases on their card in a calendar year, up to 4x times per year, getting them closer to Medallion Status.
New cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus miles, 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs), and a $100 statement credit after spending $4,000 in purchases on their new Card in their first 3 months.
Terms and limitations apply.
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card can be a sweet deal if you enjoy staying within one of the many Hilton hotel brands including Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Home2, or Hilton Garden Inn. Of course, don’t forget the upscale brands like Conrad or Waldorf Astoria if you have the privilege of consulting high-profile clients.
To get the most value from this card, plan on spending at least $15,000 annually to get a free weekend night certificate. Spending another $45,000 (or $60,000 a year) gives you a second free night certificate.
Each year with your The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, you get 10 free Priority Pass airport lounge visits (once enrolled) and complimentary Hilton Honors Gold Status that gives you complimentary hotel breakfast and space-available room upgrades.
You also have the chance to rack up the Hilton Honors points as follows (terms and limitations apply):
- 12x points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio
- 6x points on select business and travel purchases
- 3x points on all other eligible remaining purchases
New The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card cardholders can earn up to 180,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points! Earn 130,000 Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors Business Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, you can earn an additional 50,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend a total of $10,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months.
There is a $95 annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card comes with some great Marriott Bonvoy benefits:
- Premium on-property internet and Boingo wifi hotspot access
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program
- Earn 4x points on for U.S. gas stations, U.S. restaurants, shipping from U.S. providers, and wireless phone purchases also from the U.S.
Cardholders can receive 1 Free Night Award annually after their Card account anniversary. Plus, they can earn an additional Free Night Award after spending $60K in purchases on their Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. Certain hotels have resort fees.
Cardholders can also enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status. They can earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on their card in a calendar year.
New Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card cardholders can earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after using their new Card to make $3,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
The annual fee is $125 (See Rates & Fees), which can easily be offset with the free annual night certificate. Terms apply.
You should pick the card that helps you get more value from the airline or hotel you travel with the most. Other bonus categories like gas stations or dining rewards can also be pivotal in making your decision. With any of these cards, you can get more mileage from each dollar you spend on the business.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 6 Best Business Credit Cards For Consultants
- 2 Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
- 3 The Business Platinum Card from American Express
- 4 United Business Card
- 5 Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card
- 6 The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
- 8 Summary