This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Chase offers several credit cards without a foreign transaction fee. In addition to not paying 3% on international purchases, the best cards can enjoy other travel benefits for leisure or business reasons. Here are the best Chase credit cards for international travel.
The Best Chase Credit Cards for International Travel
Here’s a preview of the best Chase credit cards for international travel:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
- United Quest℠ Card
- World of Hyatt Credit Card
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (Leisure Travel)
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the best overall card for most people because of its many travel benefits and affordable $95 annual fee.
This card earns Ultimate Rewards which are some of the most valuable credit card points for cash and travel awards.
Some of the best card benefits include:
- 5x points on travel purchases on Chase Ultimate Rewards (2x points on all remaining travel purchases)
- 3x points on dining, online grocery purchases, and select streaming services
- Points are worth 25% more for award travel redemptions (1.25 cents each)
- 1:1 point transfers to 12+ airlines and hotels
- $50 annual hotel credit
Cardholders can also enjoy trip cancellation and interruption insurance (up to $10,000 per person/$20,000 per trip) as well as primary rental car insurance.
There are also several airline point transfer options that can be excellent for international flights. You may consider booking a carrier or an alliance partner flight to your destination. This is one of the best credit cards for purchasing flight tickets.
Some of the best airline partners include:
- United Airlines (Star Alliance)
- AerLingus AerClub (Avios)
- Iberia Plus (Avios)
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Southwest Airlines (to Mexico and the Caribbean on Southwest)
The primary car rental coverage is eligible for many international destinations. It reimburses up to the vehicle’s cash value for theft and collision damage.
In addition to these benefits, the Sapphire Preferred is currently offering its highest-ever signup bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards after $4,000 in purchases during the first 3 months. This bonus is worth $1,250 in award travel bookings using the Ultimate Rewards portal.
Related: Chase Sapphire Preferred Review
Chase Sapphire Reserve (Luxury Travel)
If you’re a frequent flyer, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® can provide more air travel benefits than the Sapphire Preferred (you can compare the Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Sapphire Reserve for more info). The Sapphire Reserve also earns more points on travel purchases and comes with a $300 annual travel credit.
Travel benefits include:
- 10x points on hotel and car rentals through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 5x points on flight bookings through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x points on remaining travel purchases (immediately after earning the $300 travel credit)
- 3x points on dining purchases
- 50% redemption bonus on award travel bookings (1.5 cents each)
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
The first $300 in annual travel purchases do not earn Ultimate Rewards as the travel statement credit reimburses these purchases.
It also comes with a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. Cardholders can also enjoy Priority Pass airport lounge access. In addition to the Priority Pass lounge benefit, Reserve cardmembers will soon be able to access the brand-new Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club network.
The signup bonus is 60,000 Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. This bonus is worth up to $900 in travel rewards you book on Chase Ultimate Rewards.
The annual fee is $550 for the primary card and $75 per authorized user.
Related: Chase Sapphire Reserve Review
Ink Business Preferred Credit Card (Business Travel)
The Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is the only Ink Business card without an annual fee.
Your first $150,000 in combined annual spending earn 3x points for these categories:
- Shipping purchases
- Social media and search engine advertising
- Internet, cable, and phone services
Non-bonus purchases earn 1x Ultimate Rewards. This is one of the best Chase business credit cards.
Each point is worth 1.25 cents for award travel redemptions and you can transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to airlines and hotels.
Additional travel insurance benefits of note include:
- Primary rental car insurance on business-related rentals
- Trip cancellation and interruption (up to $5,000 per person and $10,000 per trip)
- Roadside Dispatch (dispatch service fees apply)
New members can earn a 100,000 Ultimate Rewards signup bonus ($1,250 value) after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months. This is one of several incredible 100k bonus credit card offers.
The annual fee is $95 and $0 for secondary cards.
Related: Chase Ink Business Preferred Review
United Quest Card (Airline Credit Card)
The United Quest℠ Card can be a good option as the legacy carrier serves many international destinations and you can also use your miles for Star Alliance flights.
This mid-tier United Airlines credit card offers these perks:
- Annual $125 United Airlines statement credit
- Two free checked bags for you and one companion
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Global Entry application fee credit
- Two 5,000-mile award flight credits each card anniversary
- Trip cancellation and interruption benefits
New United Quest℠ Card cardholders can earn 80k bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of their account opening.
Earn 3x miles on United® purchases, 2x miles on dining, select streaming services & all other travel, 1x on all other purchases.
Chase offers co-brand partners with several domestic and international airlines. As a result, the best Chase airline credit card may depend on your preferred airline.
Related: United Quest Card Review
World of Hyatt Credit Card (Hotel Credit Card)
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is one of the best hotel credit cards for domestic and international travel.
While Hyatt doesn’t have the largest property portfolio, there’s at least one hotel in many popular destinations and Hyatt points are worth substantially more than most hotel points.
Using this card can also make it easier to book award nights at the all-inclusive Hyatt Ziva or Zilara resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean. In addition, there are many great properties across the world in the standard portfolio.
This is one of the best hotel credit cards.
Some of the best card benefits include:
- Earn 4x points on Hyatt purchases
- Earn 2x points on airline tickets purchased directly from the airline (and several other categories)
- World of Hyatt Discoverist loyalty status
- 1 free anniversary night each year (category 1-4 hotels and resorts for 15,000 points or less)
- Trip cancellation coverage (up to $5,000 per person and $10,000 per trip)
The signup bonus is worth up to 60,000 Hyatt points. Get the first 30,000 after $3,000 in purchases during the first 3 months. Then, earn up 30,000 points by getting 2x points on non-bonus categories normally earn 1 point per $1 (up to $15,000).
When you apply by September 30, 2021, you earn 2 tier-qualifying night credits for each completed Hyatt night through December 31, 2021.
The annual fee is $95 and $0 for authorized users.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
IHG Premier Card (Hotel Runner-Up)
As a secondary option, you may also consider the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. IHG has a large hotel portfolio and the Premier Card has similar benefits as the Hyatt Card.
However, this card also provides one Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit.
Card benefits include:
- Earn up to 25x IHG points on eligible IHG purchases
- 2x points at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- 1 anniversary night per year (40,000 points or less)
- Platinum Elite loyalty status
- 4th reward night on 4+ night award stays
The signup bonus is 150,000 IHG points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. And, the annual fee is $0 for the first 12 months, then $89.
Related: IHG Premier Card Review
In conclusion, the best Chase credit cards for international travel can not only be helpful abroad, but they also earn on domestic, everyday purchases. These cards can help you enjoy special travel benefits and complimentary trip insurance when you go overseas. You will also have an easier time earning bonus points so you can book your next award trip sooner. If you want to compare Chase options to other cards, visit our best credit cards for international travel review as well.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Chase Credit Cards for International Travel
- 2 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (Leisure Travel)
- 3 Chase Sapphire Reserve (Luxury Travel)
- 4 Ink Business Preferred Credit Card (Business Travel)
- 5 United Quest Card (Airline Credit Card)
- 6 World of Hyatt Credit Card (Hotel Credit Card)
- 7 IHG Premier Card (Hotel Runner-Up)
- 8 Summary