This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Are you looking for a checking account with the more rewards? The best checking account bonuses 2020 is an excellent starting point. Banks are willing to reward your loyalty by giving you cash rewards.
The Best Checking Account Bonuses for 2020
It’s easy to solely focus on maximizing credit card bonuses but overlook checking accounts. After all, credit cards tend to be more exciting and are usually advertised more frequently. However, having the right checking account can both pad your wallet and make it easy to access your cash.
However, note that before applying for any bonus, make sure you read the bonus offer details. Look for any potential fees. Don’t give back your earnings to the bank because of extra fees.
Chase Bank ($200 Bonus Cash)
The information for Chase Total Checking has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Total Checking is offering the chance to earn $200 for a limited time. To earn the full $200 bonus:
- Open an account by 10/14/2020
- Set up direct deposit
- Receive the money within ten business days
This checking account is great for personal banking because it’s easy to waive the monthly fee. However, you will need to pay non-Chase ATM fees, money orders, and anything other than essential Chase banking services. If you need local bank access for deposits and withdrawals, this is a good option. Both the online and mobile Chase Bank platforms are free to use.
You can waive the $12 monthly account fee by meeting one of these conditions:
- Direct deposits of at least $500 per month OR
- Minimum $1,500 balance at the beginning of the day OR
- Average $5,000 or more daily balance in any combination of this account and linked qualifying Chase checking, savings, and other balances
Having a Chase Total Checking® account doesn’t automatically waive the monthly fee for your linked Chase Savings account. If you’re interested in a business account, check out the Chase Total Business Checking® option. New members can get $300 as a new Chase business checking customer when they open a Chase Total Business Checking® account with qualifying activities. Offer expires 10/09/2020.
Learn more: Best Chase Checking Accounts
Citi (Up to $500)
The information for Citi has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi is currently offering a checking account bonus worth up to $400. You will also need to open a Citi savings account to earn the full bonus. Here’s how much you can earn if you complete the following activities:
- $400 cash bonus: Open a new eligible checking and savings accounts in the Citibank® Account Package during the offer period (04/01/2020 to 06/30/2020); Deposit $15,000 in new funds between the new checking and savings accounts within 30 days of account opening; Maintain a minimum balance of $15,000 between the checking and savings accounts for 60 consecutive calendar days. You will receive your bonus within 90 days after completing the required activities.
If depositing $15,000 is a bit too steep, you may consider the Basic Banking Package that earns $200.
- $200 cash bonus: Open a new eligible checking account in the Basic Banking Package during the offer period 4/01/2020 to 6/30/2020; Within 30 days of opening your account, deposit $5,000 in New-to-Citibank funds into the new checking account; Maintain a minimum balance of $5,000 for 60 consecutive calendar days.
Learn more: Best Citi credit cards
Bank of America ($100 Bonus Cash)
The information for Bank of America has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Bank of America has one of the smallest yet easiest bonus offers to earn. Non-BofA customers can earn $100 by opening one of three Advantage Banking checking accounts. It’s possible for current BofA customers to qualify for a targeted bonus as high as $300.
Open an eligible account by June 30, 2020, using this link and make a minimum initial deposit ($25 or $100). Then, set up and receive two direct deposits of at least $250 each.
All three checking account options let you earn Preferred Rewards with select credit cards including the Bank of America Travel Rewards.
Learn more: Best Bank of America credit cards
HSBC (Up to $475 Bonus Cash)
The information for HSBC has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you have a high net worth, check out the HSBC checking account promotions. It’s possible to get up to $475 bonus cash which is a large checking account bonus.
As a heads up, HSBC bonus offers have some of the strictest terms and conditions. After meeting the initial account setup rules, you may need to maintain minimum activity for several months.
You will need to open a Premier Checking account to get a $475 cash bonus. The promotion requirements include:
- Opening an account by June 29, 2020
- Make recurring direct deposits totaling at least $5,000 for three consecutive calendar months
- Automatically receive $475 Welcome Deposit in your checking account 8 weeks after completing qualifying activities
Premier Checking benefits include:
- No fees on everyday banking transactions (includes wire transfers)
- Unlimited ATM withdrawals
- Global Premier status at all worldwide HSBC affiliates
An easier HSBC promotion to qualify for is for an Advance Checking account. You get a $225 cash bonus after these actions:
- Open an account using this webpage by June 29, 2020
- Make recurring direct deposits totaling at least $500 for three consecutive calendar months
- Automatically receive $225 Welcome Deposit in your checking account 8 weeks after completing qualifying activities
Santander ($225 Bonus Cash)
The information for Santander has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Open a Santander Simply Right checking account and you can earn $225 bonus cash:
- Open a Simply Right checking account by June 30, 2020, using the unique promotion code shown on this page after you provide your name and email address
- Direct deposits must total $1,000 or more within the first 90 days
- Keep your account open for at least 90 days
This offer is only available to residents of NH, MA, RI, CT, DE, NY, NJ or PA. If you live in one of these states, this can be one of the easier checking account bonuses to earn.
PNC Bank (Up to $300 Bonus Cash)
The information for the PNC Bank has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can either earn $200 or $300 by joining PNC Bank. You will need to complete a minimum qualifying direct deposit and make at least 10 qualifying debit card purchases.
- $300 bonus cash: Open a Performance Select checking account and make $5,000 or more in qualifying direct deposits
- $200 bonus cash: Open a Performance Spend checking account and make $2,000 or more in direct deposits
This offer expires on June 30, 2020. The direct deposits for either checking account must be made within the first 60 days.
Associated Bank (Up to $500)
The information for Associated Bank has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Living near an Associated Bank branch lets you earn up to $500.
You will earn the first $400 by:
- Open an Associated Choice Checking account with a minimum $100 deposit and make three payments using Associated Bank Online Bill Pay OR make a minimum $300 direct deposit in the first 45 days of account opening
- Open an Associated Relationship Savings account and make a minimum $25,000 deposit.
- Maintain a combined minimum account balance of $25,000 for the first 90 days
Then, you can earn the final $100 ($500 bonus cash total) by opening a new Associated Bank American Express Premier Rewards Credit Card. Spending $1,000 in the first 3 months gives you 10,000 bonus points worth $100 in cash.
If you want a larger credit card bonus, you may decide to apply for a credit card directly from American Express.
Learn more: Best American Express credit cards
Summary of Best Checking Account Bonuses 2020
If you live in a region served by one of the brick and mortar banks, this can be a fun way to add some extra cash to your wallet. Banks may only offer these banks to new customers. If you can achieve the bonus offer requirements, it can be worth opening a new bank account.
Which banks offer a bonus for opening an account?
Most national banks offer one-time signup bonuses for new bank customers. It’s possible to earn bonuses for opening new checking and savings accounts. How much you can earn depends on which account you open and the bonus requirements.
For instance, offers that require larger initial deposits or direct deposits tend to offer higher bonus payouts.
Some of the banks to consider looking at first include:
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Fifth Third Bank
- US Bank
- TD Bank
You are less likely to find bonus offers for online-only banks. However, it’s easier to avoid ongoing fees that traditional banks usually charge.
Are checking account bonuses taxable?
Yes, any bonus cash you earn from checking account or savings account signup offers is taxable income. When your bank sends you a Form 1099 tax form to report your taxable interest earned for the calendar year, this form will include your bonus cash too.
Paying income tax is one downside of checking account bonuses. To avoid this tax, you may focus on earning credit card signup bonuses which are not subject to taxes under current tax rules.
Which bank is best to open a checking account?
The best bank to open a checking account mostly depends on where you live. Most brick-and-mortar banks require you to enter your zip code to see your available account options. For example, you may live in an area served by Chase Bank but not by Bank of America.
If possible, try opening a Chase Bank checking account first. They make it easy to avoid the recurring fees with the Total Checking account. If you have a large cash surplus, you may consider opening a Chase Sapphire℠ Checking account. This “ultimate” account gives you complimentary access to most banking services. It can also be a good fit if you own a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
To easily avoid fees, consider joining an online bank like Capital One 360 or Discover Bank. If you don’t need local branch access, this is a free way to get a debit card and have a place to enroll in direct deposit.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Checking Account Bonuses for 2020
- 2 Chase Bank ($200 Bonus Cash)
- 3 Citi (Up to $500)
- 4 Bank of America ($100 Bonus Cash)
- 5 HSBC (Up to $475 Bonus Cash)
- 6 Santander ($225 Bonus Cash)
- 7 PNC Bank (Up to $300 Bonus Cash)
- 8 Associated Bank (Up to $500)
- 9 Summary of Best Checking Account Bonuses 2020
- 10 FAQs