This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Are you looking for a checking account with more rewards for 2021? You’re in luck as we’ve rounded up the best checking account bonuses, giving you an excellent place to start. If you’re wondering if bank bonuses are worth it, know that banks are willing to reward your loyalty by giving you cash rewards.
The Best Checking Account Bonuses for 2021
It’s easy to solely focus on maximizing credit card bonuses but overlook checking accounts. After all, credit cards tend to be more exciting and are usually advertised more frequently. However, having the right checking account can both pad your wallet and make it easy to access your cash.
However, note that before applying for any bonus, make sure you read the bonus offer details. Look for any potential fees. Don’t give back your earnings to the bank because of extra fees.
Here are some of the best checking account bonuses for 2021.
Chase Business Complete Banking
If you’re interested in a business account, check out the Chase Business Complete Banking℠ option. Account-holders have multiple ways to waive monthly service fees, including maintaining a minimum daily balance or purchases on their Chase Ink® Business credit card.
New members can get $300 as a new Chase business checking customer when you open a Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account with qualifying activities.
To earn the $300 bonus, complete these qualifying activities:
- Open a Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account online or in branch
- Deposit at least $2,000 in new money within 30 days of account opening
- Maintain a minimum $2,000 balance for 60 days
- Complete 5 qualifying transactions within 90 days of opening an account
This offer expires on 01/20/2022.
Related: Best Chase Checking Accounts
Chase First Banking
Another option worth mentioning is a Chase First Banking℠ account, a debit card for kids ages 6-17 with no monthly service fee. Kids can also learn to spend, save and earn—all from the Chase Mobile® app.
While it can be used by parents to help teach their teens and kids money management, you must be an existing Chase checking customer to open a Chase First Banking℠ account. There is a $0 minimum balance to open the account and a $0 monthly service fee.
Parents can set limits on where and how money is spent as well as how much can be withdrawn at ATMs. Additionally, alerts can be set up to keep track of expenses. Parents can also pay allowances through the Chase Mobile app.
Share good money habits this season with Chase First Banking.
The CIT Bank eChecking account doesn’t offer a signup bonus but offers these perks:
- No monthly service fees
- The entire account balance earns interest
- Up to $30 in monthly non-network ATM fee reimbursements
- Online bill pay
The minimum initial deposit is $100. You do not need to enroll in direct deposit or maintain a minimum balance, hassles that some of the other banks require to earn a bonus or waive the monthly service fee. Having an average daily balance of at least $25,000 waives the $10 outgoing wire transfer fee.
An eChecking account can be your best option if you want a (mostly) fee-free checking account or only have a small amount of cash to deposit. Two incidental fees you might pay are a $30 overdraft fee and a 1% fee for international purchases and ATM withdrawals. While CIT Bank is an online-only bank, you have plenty of ways to access your cash. For instance, you can transfer money to friends using Zelle®, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay.
Savings Options Worth Mentioning
CIT Bank has several savings account options you may like as well. The CIT Bank Money Market Account requires a $100 initial deposit. Unlike other money market products, this one doesn’t come with a debit card or paper checks. But you can enroll in online bill pay and can make up to six free monthly withdrawals. This account can be a good option if you don’t want separate savings and checking accounts.
The CIT Bank Savings Builder High Yield Savings Account can motivate you to save at least $100 each month. After the minimum $100 initial deposit, a recurring monthly deposit of $100 (or a minimum $25,000 account balance) lets you earn up to 0.40% APY. This interest rate is higher than most standard savings accounts.
Each account can have higher interest rates and make it easier to waive the monthly service fee than most brick and mortar banks.
The information for Chime Bank has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chime Bank offers a free Spending Account that’s similar to checking accounts that banks offer. There are no monthly account fees and you get a free Visa debit card. You cannot get a paper checkbook but Chime will mail checks of up to $5,000 for free within the 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Your Chime Spending Account includes these perks:
- Free-free SpotMe overdraft protection
- Receive direct deposits up to two days early
- Over 38,000 fee-free ATMs (MoneyPass and Visa Plus Alliance networks)
- Instant money transfers to other Chime members
- $0 initial deposit
- No minimum balance requirement
You can qualify for free SpotMe overdraft protection when you receive at least $500 in monthly direct deposits. Your overdraft protection limit is between $20 and $100. Chime uses your next deposit to repay the negative payment balance.
Your Chime Visa debit card can make fee-free withdrawals at MoneyPass and Visa Plus Alliance ATMs across the United States. If you forget your card, the Chime App lets you instantly freeze and unfreeze your card.
Savings Accounts Worth Mentioning
One downside of opening a Chime Bank Spending Account is no signup bonus. Chime Bank is a good option if you’re new to banking or want a simple fee-free account. If you transfer money to friends often, Chime Bank has fewer instant transfer capabilities than other banks. You can make instant transfers to other Chime members using Chime’s Pay Friends mobile app. Chime supports other third-party payment apps including Apple Pay and Google Pay.
It’s possible to make up for the lack of a Spending Account bonus by stashing your extra cash into a High Yield Chime Savings Account. All deposits currently earn 1.00% APY with no required minimum balance. You won’t pay a monthly account fee with this savings account either.
You can optimize your spending and savings accounts by enabling savings round-ups with your Chime debit card. Chime can round up your debit card purchases and transfer the round-up to your savings account. It’s also possible to schedule recurring transfers from each Spending Account direct deposit.
HSBC (Up to $450 Bonus Cash)
The information for HSBC has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you have a high net worth, check out the HSBC checking account promotions. It’s possible to get up to $450 bonus cash which is a large checking account bonus.
As a heads up, HSBC bonus offers have some of the strictest terms and conditions. After meeting the initial account setup rules, you may need to maintain minimum activity for several months.
You will need to open a Premier Checking account to get a $450 cash bonus. The promotion requirements include:
- Opening an account by August 31, 2021
- Make recurring monthly Qualifying Direct Deposits totaling at least $5,000 from a third party to your HSBC Premier checking account(s) for 3 consecutive calendar months from the second full calendar month after account opening
- Automatically receive a $450 Welcome Deposit in your checking account 8 weeks after completing qualifying activities
Premier Checking benefits include:
- No fees on everyday banking transactions (includes wire transfers)
- Unlimited ATM withdrawals
- Global Premier status at all worldwide HSBC affiliates
PNC Bank (Up to $200 Bonus Cash)
The information for the PNC Bank has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can earn $200 by joining PNC Bank.
- $200 bonus cash: Open and establish total qualifying direct deposit(s) of $2,000 or more to the new Virtual Wallet Checking Pro.
To qualify, the new Virtual Wallet Checking Pro must be opened by 09/30/2021 and a qualifying Direct Deposit(s) must be received within the first 60 days. The account must remain open in order to receive the reward, which will be credited on the account statement within 60-90 days after all conditions have been met.
If you live in a region served by one of the brick-and-mortar banks, this can be a fun way to add some extra cash to your wallet. Banks may only offer these banks to new customers. If you can achieve the bonus offer requirements, it can be worth opening a new bank account. Hopefully one of these best checking accounts bonuses in 2021 options works for you.
Which banks offer a bonus for opening an account?
Most national banks offer one-time signup bonuses for new bank customers. It’s possible to earn bonuses for opening new checking and savings accounts. How much you can earn depends on which account you open and the bonus requirements.
For instance, offers that require larger initial deposits or direct deposits tend to offer higher bonus payouts.
Some of the banks to consider looking at first include:
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Fifth Third Bank
- US Bank
- TD Bank
You are less likely to find bonus offers for online-only banks. However, it’s easier to avoid ongoing fees that traditional banks usually charge.
Are checking account bonuses taxable?
Yes, any bonus cash you earn from a checking account or savings account signup offers is taxable income. When your bank sends you a Form 1099 tax form to report your taxable interest earned for the calendar year, this form will include your bonus cash too.
Paying income tax is one downside of checking account bonuses. To avoid this tax, you may focus on earning credit card signup bonuses which are not subject to taxes under current tax rules.
Which bank is best to open a checking account?
The best bank to open a checking account mostly depends on where you live. Most brick-and-mortar banks require you to enter your zip code to see your available account options. For example, you may live in an area served by Chase Bank but not by Bank of America.
To easily avoid fees, consider joining an online bank like Capital One 360 or Discover Bank. If you don’t need local branch access, this is a free way to get a debit card and have a place to enroll in direct deposit.
- Best Business Checking Accounts
- The Perks of a New Chase Sapphire Banking Account
- When is the best time to apply for a credit card?
- Easiest Travel Credit Cards to Apply For (and Get Approved)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.