This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Contactless payments are not only convenient and secure, they have been a way to stay safe during the pandemic and avoid coming into contact with heavily used machines. While paying contactless may not be the same status symbol as metal credit cards, it’s still pretty impressive. To use this payment technology while earning the most rewards points, consider adding one of the best contactless credit cards to your wallet.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Best Contactless Credit Cards
It’s possible you may already own one of the following contactless cards listed below. If your current card isn’t contactless but does have contactless options, the bank should replace it when your current card expires. If you can’t wait, you may request a replacement sooner as well.
Most contactless credit cards are best for earning travel rewards, but there are several cash back cards too. Fortunately, there are plenty of options that will likely be good for you, depending on your financial habits and goals.
Here are some of the best contactless credit cards to consider getting.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
All Chase Visa credit cards allow contactless payments.
The most luxurious of them is the Chase Sapphire Reserve®. If you love to travel, the Sapphire Reserve is for you. You will enjoy these travel benefits:
- $300 annual travel credit
- Priority Pass Select lounge access
- Points are worth 50% more when booking award travel
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
Chase Sapphire Reserve purchases earn up to 10x Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Cardholders can earn unlimited:
- 10x total points on hotels and car rentals purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 10x total points on Chase Dining purchases with Ultimate Rewards
- 5x total points on flights when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 3x points on other travel worldwide (after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually)
- 3x points on other dining at restaurants, including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out
- 1x points for all remaining purchases
You will not receive rewards points on your first $300 in annual travel purchases as the annual travel statement credit reimburses these purchases.
Your points are most valuable when booking award travel and are easily worth at least 1.5 cents each. Some of the best transfer partners include Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Emirates, and the World of Hyatt.
Additional Sapphire Reserve Perks
Points are worth 50% more when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
New Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $900 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
The annual fee is $550 but can be offset by the many perks.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the Sapphire Reserve’s little brother. It doesn’t have premium travel benefits but you still get several trip insurance benefits and primary rental car insurance. The annual fee is also $95.
Your points are worth 25% more when booking award travel and you can also transfer them to Chase travel partners on a 1:1 basis.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns unlimited:
- 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards® (excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Anniversary Hotel Credit)
- 3x points on dining (including eligible delivery services, takeout, and dining out)
- 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target®, Walmart®, and wholesale clubs)
- Also 3x points on select streaming services
- 2x points on all other travel purchases
- 1x point per $1 spent on all non-bonus purchases
There is a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit. It comes in the form of a statement credit that will automatically be applied to your account when your card is used for hotel accommodation purchases made through the Ultimate Rewards program, up to an annual maximum accumulation of $50.
Plus, on each account anniversary, you’ll earn bonus points equal to 10% of your total purchases made the previous year. So, if you spend $25,000 on purchases, you’ll get 2,500 bonus points.
Additional Sapphire Preferred Benefits
Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
New Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is one of the best cards for earning travel miles. You earn unlimited 2x miles for every $1 spent regardless of the purchase category. Additionally, earn 5x miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. Plus, Venture cardholders will earn 5x miles when booking through the Turo app or on Turo.com (through May 16, 2023).
Your Venture miles are redeemable for travel statement credits, future travel, and transfers to airline partners.
Capital One also credits your application fee for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. You can learn more about this fee credit and other Venture Rewards benefits through the in-depth Capital One Venture Card Review.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 75,000 miles after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Venture Rewards annual fee is $95 and there are no foreign transaction fees. Read our Capital One Venture vs Chase Sapphire Preferred comparison to learn which option might be the better choice for you.
The Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express is another top contender for the best contactless credit card for premium travel rewards. It’s an awesome option for frequent flyers for these reasons:
- 1:1 airline and hotel points transfers
- Global Lounge Collection access (Centurion, Priority Pass (enrollment required), Delta Sky Club, and others!)
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
- Terms apply
There are many other little-known Platinum Card benefits you may enjoy. Your points are most valuable when booking award flights. Some of the best airline transfer partners are Delta, British Airways, and Emirates.
Cardholders earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, and earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
Cardholders can get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when paying with their Platinum Card®.
Also, get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
Plus, American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
Terms apply. Enrollment may be required.
Other Platinum Card from American Express Benefits
There’s also a new digital entertainment credit. Cardholders can get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with The Platinum Card® from American Express at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
In addition to enjoying TSA PreCheck or Global Entry access, cardholders can also enjoy CLEAR perks. Cardholders can use their Card and get up to $189 back per year on their CLEAR® membership. Terms apply.
Another exciting new benefit is the ability for cardholders to enjoy up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. This amounts to up to $300 annually. Enrollment required.
There is also a $155 Walmart+ credit to enjoy. This covers the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
Get the full details and learn more in our in-depth The Platinum Card from American Express review.
The annual fee is $695 (See Rates & Fees) but can be offset with the perks, which are valued at over $1,400.
Welcome Bonus Offer
New The Platinum Card® from American Express cardmembers can earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after spending $6,000 on purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, new cardholders can choose new Platinum Card designs! Select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu. Terms apply.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
American Express Gold Card
Look at the American Express® Gold Card to maximize lifestyle purchases.
The American Express Gold Card earns 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earns 4X Membership Rewards® Points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X). Plus, earn 3X Membership Rewards® Points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
You can book award flights through AmexTravel or transfer them to the 1:1 Membership Rewards transfer partners with the American Express Gold Card.
Another perk is the ability to earn up to $10 in statement credits on a monthly basis when you use your Gold Card to pay at the following dining establishments (enrollment is required):
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Milk Bar
- Shake Shack (only at participating locations)
This perk can save you up to $120 annually.
The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months. Also, Rose Gold is back! Cardholders can choose between Gold or Rose Gold. Terms apply.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card is the most benefit-packed Southwest credit card. Cardholders earn unlimited:
- 3x points on Southwest® purchases
- 2x points on local transit and commuting, including rideshares
- 2x points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming purchases
New Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card cardholders can earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Priority card travel perks include a $75 Southwest annual travel credit, up to 4 Upgraded Bookings per year, and 7,500-anniversary points. Additionally, get 25% back on inflight purchases. It is also one of the best Southwest credit cards available.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
If you prefer earning cash rewards, the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card earns an unlimited 1.5% back. However, earn unlimited 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. There is no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
New cardholders can earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
Chase Freedom Flex
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ earns up to 5% back on the first $1,500 spent on quarterly rotating bonus purchases that you activate. The Chase Freedom Flex bonus categories include:
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate (then 1% back)
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 1% on all other purchases
Your points are redeemable for cash, travel, and gift cards.
You can even pool your points with some of the other best Chase credit cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points to boost their value. This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
New Chase Freedom Flex℠ cardholders can earn a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Related article: Read our Chase Freedom Flex review to see how your points can be worth 50% more.
Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is one of the best contactless credit cards for business purchases. You earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on the first $150,000 combined purchases for travel, shipping, online advertising, office supply stores, and Internet, phone and cable service.
Your points are worth 25% more when redeeming for award travel instead of cash rewards. You can also transfer them to the 1:1 Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partners.
The Ink Business Preferred also has one of the best credit card sign up bonuses and one of the largest Ultimate Rewards signup bonuses currently worth $1,250 in award travel. You can earn 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points by spending $15,000 in the first 3 months.
The annual fee is $95 and there is no foreign transaction fee.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card (Not currently open for new applications)
The information related to Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card has been collected by Johnny Jet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is one of the best no annual fee travel credit cards. You earn unlimited 3x points on a variety of lifestyle purchases including travel, gas stations, transit, restaurants, and popular streaming services. Your points can be worth as much as 1.5 cents each when booking award flights on the Wells Fargo travel center with the Wells Fargo Propel card.
The signup bonus is 20,000 bonus points worth $200 by spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
Chase has the most contactless credit cards but most major banks have several to offer. More retailers are accepting contactless payments. Getting your card now means you are prepared for this growing trend. Hopefully, you will have no problem finding your favorite card to earn the most valuable rewards.
- Cash Back vs Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- Best Credit Cards for International Travel
- The Best Credit Cards for Everyday Spending (Groceries, Gas, and More)
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Contactless Credit Cards
- 2 Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 4 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 5 The Platinum Card from American Express
- 6 American Express Gold Card
- 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
- 8 Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 9 Chase Freedom Flex
- 10 Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
- 11 Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card (Not currently open for new applications)
- 12 Summary