This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Contactless payments are a growing trend for quick and secure credit card payments. Paying contactless may not be the same status symbol as metal credit cards but it’s still pretty impressive. To use this latest payment technology while earning the most rewards points, consider adding one of the best contactless credit cards to your wallet.
It’s possible you may already own one of the following contactless cards. If your current card isn’t contactless, the bank will replace it when your current card expires. If you can’t wait, you might be able to request a replacement sooner as well.
The Best Contactless Credit Cards
Most contactless credit cards are best for earning travel rewards. There are several cash back credit cards too. Fortunately, there are plenty of options that will likely be good for you, depending on your financial habits and goals.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
All Chase Visa credit cards allow contactless payments. The most luxurious of them is the Chase Sapphire Reserve®. If you love to travel, the Sapphire Reserve is for you. You will enjoy these travel benefits:
- $300 annual travel credit
- Priority Pass Select lounge access
- Points are worth 50% more when booking award travel
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
You earn unlimited 3x Ultimate Rewards points on travel (once eligible) and dining. Every non-bonus purchase earn 1 point per $1 spent. Your points are most valuable when booking award travel and easily worth at least 1.5 cents each. Some of the best transfer partners include Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Emirates, and the World of Hyatt.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve sign-up bonus is 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points worth $750 in award travel after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the Sapphire Reserve’s little brother. It doesn’t have premium travel benefits but you still get several trip insurance benefits and primary rental car insurance. The annual fee is also $95 instead of the $550 for the Sapphire Reserve.
You earn 2x Ultimate Rewards points on travel and dining plus 1x points for everything else. Your points are worth 25% more when booking award travel and you can also transfer them to 13 airline and hotel partners on a 1:1 basis.
The signup bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred is 60,000 bonus points worth $750 in award travel by spending $4,000 in the first 3 months.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is one of the best cards for earning travel miles. You earn unlimited 2 miles for every $1 spent regardless of the purchase category. Your Venture miles are redeemable for travel statement credits, future travel, and transfers to airline partners.
Capital One also credits your application fee for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. You can learn more about this fee credit and other Venture Rewards benefits through the in-depth Capital One Venture Card Review.
New cardholders can earn a 100k mile bonus by spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Your annual fee is $95. Read our Capital One Venture vs Chase Sapphire Preferred comparison to learn which option might be the better choice for you.
Learn more: Rewards Credit Cards
Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express is another top contender for the best contactless credit card for premium travel rewards. It’s an awesome option for frequent flyers for these reasons:
- Earn 5x Membership Rewards on flights booked directly from the airline or AmexTravel.com; Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 1:1 airline and hotel points transfers
- Up to $200 annually for air travel statement credits for incidental fees at one qualifying airline
- Global Lounge Collection access (Centurion, Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club, and others!)
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
There are many other little-known Platinum Card benefits you may enjoy. Your points are most valuable when booking award flights. Some of the best airline transfer partners are Delta, British Airways, and Emirates.
New cardmembers can earn 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards® Points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. Cardholders also earn 10x points on eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of card membership.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
American Express Gold Card
Look at the American Express® Gold Card to maximize lifestyle purchases. You earn 4x Membership Rewards on dining worldwide, including deliveries and takeout, and on the first $25,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets (then 1x). Flights booked directly from the airline or on AmexTravel earn 3x points (1x for all remaining purchases).
You can book award flights through AmexTravel or transfer them to the 1:1 Membership Rewards transfer partners with the American Express Gold Card. Key card benefits include a $100 airline fee credit for incidental fees at one qualifying airline and up to $120 in dining credits (enrollment required). The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card is the most benefit-packed Southwest credit card. Each point you earn also counts toward getting the annual Southwest Companion Pass. You earn 2x points on Southwest purchases and 1x points for everything else.
Southwest travel perks include a $75 Southwest annual travel credit, up to 4 Upgraded Bookings per year, and 7,500-anniversary points. It is also one of the best Southwest credit cards available.
The signup bonus is 40,000 Rapid Rewards points by spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
If you prefer earning cash rewards, the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card earns unlimited 1.5% back. There is no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
New cardholders can earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
Chase Freedom Flex
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ earns up to 5% back on the first $1,500 spent on quarterly rotating bonus purchases that you activate. The Chase Freedom Flex bonus categories include:
- 5% cashback on the first $1,500 on quarterly bonus categories you activate (then 1% back)
- 5% cashback on travel purchases in the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- 3% cashback on restaurants, including takeout and delivery services
- 3% cashback on drugstore purchases
Cardholders earn an unlimited 1% on all remaining purchases. Your points are redeemable for cash, travel, and gift cards.
You can even pool your points with some of the other best Chase credit cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points to boost their value. This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
The signup bonus is the ability to earn a $200 cash bonus after making $500 in purchases during the first 3 months of account opening. Also, cardholders can earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target or Walmart purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
Related article: Read our Chase Freedom Flex review to see how your points can be worth 50% more.
Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is one of the best contactless credit cards for business purchases. You earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on the first $150,000 combined purchases for travel, shipping, online advertising, office supply stores, and Internet, phone and cable service.
Your points are worth 25% more when redeeming for award travel instead of cash rewards. You can also transfer them to the 1:1 Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partners.
The Ink Business Preferred also has one of the best credit card sign up bonuses and one of the largest Ultimate Rewards signup bonuses currently worth $1,250 in award travel. You get 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points by spending $15,000 in the first 3 months.
The annual fee is $95 and there is no foreign transaction fee.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card
The information related to Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card has been collected by Johnny Jet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is one of the best no annual fee travel credit cards. You earn unlimited 3x points on a variety of lifestyle purchases including travel, gas stations, transit, restaurants, and popular streaming services. Your points can be worth as much as 1.5 cents each when booking award flights on the Wells Fargo travel center with the Wells Fargo Propel card.
The signup bonus is 20,000 bonus points worth $200 by spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
Summary on Best Contactless Credit Cards
Chase has the most contactless credit cards but most major banks have several to offer. More retailers are accepting contactless payments. Getting your card now means you are prepared for this growing trend. Hopefully, you will have no problem finding your favorite card to earn the most valuable rewards.
- Cash Back vs Travel Rewards Credit Card for 2020: Your Best Options
- Best Credit Cards for International Travel in 2020
- 6 Best Credit Cards for Everyday Spending (Groceries, Gas, and More)
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Contactless Credit Cards
- 2 Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 4 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 5 Platinum Card from American Express
- 6 American Express Gold Card
- 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
- 8 Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 9 Chase Freedom Flex
- 10 Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
- 11 Wells Fargo Propel American Express Card
- 12 Summary on Best Contactless Credit Cards