This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
One of your Thanksgiving Day traditions might be browsing the sales ads to look for the best Black Friday deals. In addition to finding irresistible prices, the best credit cards for Black Friday (and Cyber Monday) will boost your spending power. Here are some of the best cards to use to help you maximize your purchases.
Citi Double Cash Card
The Citi® Double Cash Card is a flat-rate cash rewards card and you get up to 2% back on purchases (1% back at the time of purchase and 1% when you make a payment). You can redeem your rewards as a cash statement credit, bank deposit, or paper check. There isn’t an annual fee and there is no limit to how much you can earn.
Related: Citi Double Cash Review
Chase Freedom Flex
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is a tiered cash rewards card offering up to 5% back. For October, November, and December 2020, the first $1,500 in Walmart and PayPal purchases earns 5% back (then 1% back) once activated.
These purchases earn bonus cash back:
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- 5% cash back on travel purchased on Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% cash back at restaurants (including takeout and qualifying delivery services)
- 3% cash back at drugstores
- 1% cash back on all non-bonus spending
New cardmembers can earn $200 bonus cash by spending $500 in the first 3 months.
This card doesn’t have an annual fee and you can redeem your rewards for award travel, cash, and gift cards.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a favorite travel credit card as it earns some of the most valuable credit card points. You earn 2x Ultimate Rewards on travel and dining. Lyft rides earn 5x points through March 2022. And through April 30, 2021, cardholders automatically earn 2x points per $1 spent at grocery stores, up to $1,000 per month. All remaining purchases earn 1 point per $1. However, shopping through the Ultimate Rewards shopping mall can earn bonus points (we’ve seen rewards of up to 15x points per $1 spent!).
New Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cardholders can earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus, they can earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within the first year of account opening.
The annual fee is $95.
Related: Chase Sapphire Preferred Review
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card makes it easy to maximize daily purchases for travel rewards. Each purchase earns 2 miles per $1. You can redeem your miles for travel statement credits, book upcoming travel or transfer to airlines and hotels. One additional perk is a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. The annual fee is $95.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Related: Capital One Venture Card Review
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
The information for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Several credit cards make it possible to earn bonus rewards on Amazon purchases. One of the best options for Prime members is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card.
Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases earn 5% back. Gas stations, restaurants, and drugstores purchases earn 2% back. All non-bonus purchases earn 1% back. You can redeem your rewards for Amazon shopping credit. There is no annual fee and new cardmembers can receive an Amazon gift card bonus upon application approval.
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
The information for the U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card gives you more flexibility in rewards categories than other tiered cash back cards.
- 5% back on two categories of choice (on the first $2,000 in quarterly spending then 1% back)
- 2% back at one everyday category, such as gas stations, grocery stores or restaurants
- 1% back on all other eligible purchases
Award redemption options include a statement credit, rewards card, or direct deposit to a U.S. Bank savings or checking account.
New cardmembers can earn $200 bonus cash by spending $500 on eligible purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. There isn’t an annual fee.
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is one of the best Amex credit cards for Black Friday purchases. Card benefits include:
- 3% back at US supermarkets (on the first $6,000 per year, then 1% back)
- 2% back at US gas stations and select US department stores
- 1% back on everything else
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits. There isn’t an annual fee for this card (See Rates & Fees).
Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
New cardholders can earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Card membership, up to $150 back. Plus, earn $100 back after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months of card membership. You will receive cash back in the form of statement credits.
Amex EveryDay Credit Card
The information for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card is a good option for earning bonus Membership Rewards for retail purchases. This card earns 20% extra points when you make 20 or more card purchases during a statement period. Instead of earning 1 point per $1 on online and in-store purchases, you can get 1.2 points.
US supermarket purchases earn 2 points per $1 (on the first $6,000 per year) and then 1 point per $1.
You can pool your Membership Rewards with your other eligible Amex credit cards to redeem for award travel, gift cards, or transfer to travel loyalty programs.
This card doesn’t have an annual fee (See Rates & Fees). The welcome bonus is 10,000 Membership Rewards ($100 value) by spending $1,000 in the first 3 months.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Premium travel credit cards are worth using for Black Friday purchases too. The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is a good option if you want purchase protection benefits, plus the opportunity to earn Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Not as many credit cards offer purchase protection benefits as in the recent past. The Sapphire Reserve protection benefits include:
- Purchase protection for lost and stolen items for 120 days (up to $10,000 per claim)
- Return protection for 90 days (up to $500 per item and $1,000 per year)
- One additional year of extended warranty protection on warranties of 3 years or less
Be sure to read the terms and conditions to see which purchases qualify for potential claims.
There’s also a $300 annual credit that covers travel purchases. Through Dec. 31, 2021, the travel credit can also apply to gas station and grocery store purchases. Cardholders earn 3x Ultimate Rewards on travel (immediately after earning the $300 travel credit) and dining and 1x points for non-bonus spending.
Through April 30, 2021, cardholders automatically earn 3x points per $1 spent at grocery stores, up to $1,000 per month. Plus, cardholders earn 10x points on Lyft rides, including bikes and scooters. Complimentary Lyft Pink Membership is also available when activated by March 21, 2022.
You can also get free Global Entry or TSA PreCheck and Priority Pass lounge access.
Points are worth 50% more now through April 30th, 2021 when redeemed for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories with the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature.
New Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardmembers can earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, worth $900 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
You will need to have excellent credit to get this card.
Black Friday is here once again and there are many options to earn bonus points on your online and in-store purchases. If you have several of these cards, you can choose which one is best for your shopping habits.
- Best Gas Credit Cards for Rewards, Cash Back, and Bonuses
- The Best Credit Cards for Online Shopping
- The Best Limited-Time Credit Card Offers
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Citi Double Cash Card
- 2 Chase Freedom Flex
- 3 Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 4 Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 5 Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
- 6 U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
- 7 Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express
- 8 Amex EveryDay Credit Card
- 9 Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 10 Summary