This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Did you know you can get 45% off during Black Friday in addition to retail discounts? The key is to combine several key credit card perks to maximize savings. Get ready for some credit card hacks and find out what are the best credit cards for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Here are the top five best credit cards for Black Friday and Cyber Monday holiday shopping:
5. Citi Double Cash Card
- Best for: Those who can easily pay off the card in full each month.
The Citi® Double Cash Card lets you earn 2% cash back on every purchase. Citi gives you 1% back when you purchase, and another 1% back when you pay. To earn cash back, you must pay at least the minimum due on time.
That’s almost twice the average. It’s also why it’s one of the best credit cards for holiday shopping. With no annual fee, that’s a full 2% back on every purchase you pay off in full.
Here are the details:
- 2% cash back
- No annual fee
- No signup bonus
For everyday use, the Citi Double Cash Card makes a great choice to save on every purchase.
4. Capital One Savor Cash Rewards
- Best for: Big spenders who aim to spend at least $3,000 this holiday season.
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards is a card to consider, just for its initial bonus alone.
You get $300 cash back after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Additionally, it has an excellent cash back policy in general.
- 8% Cash back on Vivid Seats through May 2023
- 4% Cash back on dining and entertainment
- 2% Cash back at grocery stores
- 1% Cash back on everything else
- $95 annual fee (waived the first year)
Seeing as how most retail shopping will likely fall into the 1% cash back category, it’s not quite as good as the Citi® Double Cash Card. Still, it’s also one of the best credit cards for groceries.
However, if you plan on spending over $3,000 between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, this card could net you 11% in savings.
The average American only spends $335 during the Black Friday weekend, so this option is likely not for you.
3. Discover it Cash Back
- Best for: Spenders who shop frequently at rotating categories
Here is where we’re getting into the significant savings for the average Black Friday consumer.
That doesn’t include the initial bonus. Discover will match all cash back you receive for the first year. So if you receive $200 cash back, Discover will give you an additional $200. That means a potential 10% cash back on all Black Friday purchases.
- 5% Cash back on select purchases (requires activation)
- 1% Cash back on everything else
- No annual fee
- Cash back matched for the first year
The 5% cash back options do change every quarter, and you do need to activate it before you can start reading the rewards. For instance, it has been one of the best gas credit cards when gas purchases were the featured category.
However, if you activate it before the 2019 Black Friday weekend, you could get up to 10% off everything.
2. Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Best for: Frequent travelers who have major purchases to make in the next three months
If you travel frequently, this credit card is perfect for you thanks to the many Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits. Black Friday shopping may help you earn more in travel miles with its massive rewards in bonus points if you sign up.
- 50,000 Bonus points (after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months)
- 3X Points on travel (once you earn $300 travel credit) and dining
- $300 Travel credit
- 1x Point for every $1 spent
- $550 annual fee
- Chase’s online shopping portal
Though the fee can seem intimidating, Chase actually gives you $300 travel credit each year, which helps offset the fee. Plus, you’ll get a fee credit of up to $100 for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry and access to Priority Pass airport lounges. The travel credit is given for any purchases made that relate to travel spendings, such as plane tickets, car rentals, hotels, and even cab rides.
According to Chase, the 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points roughly translate to $750 in award travel.
However, $4,000 is a lot of money to spend on Black Friday. So let’s look at an option that saves you even more at a much lower price point.
1. Chase Freedom Flex
- Best for: Those who plan to spend at least $500 this shopping season.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ has similar perks to the Discover it® Cash Back, but a much better initial bonus. Here’s what the card offers:
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate (then 1% back)
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases
- 1% on all other purchases
There isn’t an annual fee with the Chase Freedom Flex.
Get more details in our Chase Freedom Flex review.
The Best Credit Cards for Black Friday and Cyber Monday
Plan ahead for your spending this shopping season with the best credit cards for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. If you have a few big purchases to make, using a credit card with a high spending threshold required to earn the sign-up bonus (such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve or one of the other best credit card offers available for a limited time) may work in your favor.
But if you are only looking to spend as much as the average American, one of the best cash back credit cards, such as the ones mentioned above, might serve you better.
- Capital One Savor vs Chase Freedom
- Best Credit Card Reviews 2019
- Best Rewards Credit Cards November 2019
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.