This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
There are a lot of credit cards out there that are geared strictly toward your favorite airline or hotel brand, but what if your preferred method of travel is cruising? Luckily, there are several credit cards that are suitable for your cruising needs, and that can best help you get more for your spending. Here are a few of the best credit cards for cruises to consider.
The Best Credit Cards for Cruises
1. Disney Premier Visa Card
For Disney-loving families, the Disney® Premier Visa® Card is a must-have in your wallet. Not only does this card help if you’re planning a future Disney cruise, but it also is a good pick if you frequent the theme parks or just the Disney Store at your local mall on a regular basis.
All you have to do is spend $500 in the first three months of card membership to receive a $200 statement credit. You’ll also receive 10 percent savings on select Disney and Star Wars purchases at a Disney store or at shopDisney.com. You get 2 percent back on gas, groceries, dining and Disney spending. You’ll earn 1% on all other purchases.
You can then redeem your Disney Rewards Dollars for your cruising costs.
2. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
If you don’t really have a preferred cruise line and like to shop around for the best cruising deals, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card could be a good pick.
It’s extremely easy to earn rewards points using this card, as you receive 2x points on all travel and dining (yes, that includes cruises).
The Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include travel and purchase protection as well as the ability to transfer points to one of Chase’s Ultimate Rewards transfer partners. This is one of the reasons that the Chase Sapphire Preferred is often listed as one of the best travel credit cards.
Plus, when you go to spend your points on a cruise, you can make your points go 25 percent further by booking your cruise through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel booking portal.
3. Norwegian Cruise Lines World Mastercard
If Norwegian is your cruise line of choice, don’t think twice about adding this credit card to your wallet. The perks of the Norwegian Cruise Line® World Mastercard® include a 10,000-point welcome bonus after you make just one qualifying purchase in the first 90 days of account opening. This is enough for $100 off your next cruise.
Additionally, there is no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, helping to secure this card as one of the best credit cards for cruises. Check out our other favorite best no annual fee travel credit cards if you are looking for a card with more flexibility.
You earn at a rate of 3x points on Norwegian purchases and 1x point on everything else. Therefore, this card isn’t going to be as great for your non-Norwegian-related purchases.
However, you can redeem your points on Norwegian cruises. Use them for things like upgrades, discounts, onboard activities and more. Cardholders also receive access to special deals.
4. Carnival World Mastercard
You might think that since you don’t often cruise on Carnival, you should pass up the Carnival® World Mastercard®, but there you’d be wrong. The Carnival World Mastercard actually applies to a huge range of cruise lines that are owned by the Carnival name. This includes Costa, Holland America, Cunard, Princess Cruises and Seabourn.
As such, you’ll earn two points for every $1 spent with the above cruise lines and one point on everything else.
There’s a 20,000-point welcome offer after your first purchase. That’s enough to redeem for a $200 statement credit towards your next cruise. There is no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and 10 percent offshore excursions.
5. Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card
If you really only ever cruise on Princess, maybe the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card is your best bet.
The card also comes with a 10,000 bonus point welcome offer after your first purchase. This also means you can take up to $100 off your next cruise. There are no annual fees and no foreign transaction fees, which can make it great for travel abroad.
Protip: If you do a lot of cruises that travel internationally, consider investing in one of the best credit cards for international travel to use when you are exploring the land.
Cardholders receive 2x points on Princess purchases and 1x points on everything else.
6. Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card
Similarly, the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card is dedicated just to that cruise line. This is instead of offering earning and spending opportunities for all of Carnival’s brands.
The perks and earning rates are the same. Cardholders receive two points for every $1 spent on Holland America purchases. They earn one point for every $1 spent elsewhere.
Additionally, points can be redeemed toward Holland America cruises. The 5,000-point welcome offer comes after your first purchase, with no spending requirements for that first purchase. This offer is enough to redeem for a $50 onboard credit.
7. Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Card
The Celebrity Cruises® Visa Signature® Credit Card comes with its own perks.
You receive 10,000 points after making a transaction within the first 90 days of account opening. Similarly to the other best credit cards for cruises, this is enough for a $100 onboard credit.
Earn MyCruise points at a rate of 2x points per $1 spent on qualifying purchases with Celebrity Cruises and sister brands, Royal Caribbean and Azamara Club Cruises. Cardholders earn 1x points on everything else.
8. The Platinum Card from American Express
Of course, it’s always nice to have a premium travel credit card at your fingertips that can do more for you than just help fund your next cruise. That card should be The Platinum Card® from American Express. In addition to all the great general travel perks, it also gives you cruising benefits through the Amex Travel Cruise Privileges Program.
Plus, the Amex Offers portal frequently publishes deals on select cruises. There is also a number of benefits of the Platinum card from American Express. Again, this card is great for premium travel flexibility.
Most of the best credit cards for cruises come with benefits specific to that cruise line and sometimes their sister brands. Many of them include credits and discounts for purchases. Choose the card that best works with how you spend or plan to spend on a cruise.
The information for the Disney Premier Visa Card, the Norwegian Cruise Lines World Mastercard, the Carnival World Mastercard, the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card, the Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card, and the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Card have been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Credit Cards for Cruises
- 2 1. Disney Premier Visa Card
- 3 2. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- 4 3. Norwegian Cruise Lines World Mastercard
- 5 4. Carnival World Mastercard
- 6 5. Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card
- 7 6. Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card
- 8 7. Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Card
- 9 8. The Platinum Card from American Express
- 10 Summary