This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Texas is known for its larger-than-life persona. The best credit cards for Texas can be a good way to maximize your spending and travel habits. Depending on where you are in the Lone Star State, some cards are better a better fit than others.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Credit Cards for Texas
Your credit card rewards will be the most valuable when you redeem them for award flights. Both Dallas and Houston have some of the busiest airports in the nation. Each city also has nice alternate airports such as Dallas Love Field and Houston Hobby Airport.
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) is the 4th busiest airport in the United States by passenger boardings. DFW is a major hub for American Airlines. Various international airlines including Qantas also offer many flights from DFW.
Dallas Love Field (DAL) is a popular choice for Southwest, Delta, and Alaska Airlines.
Below are some of the best credit cards for Dallas.
The Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express can boost your domestic and international flights. Earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Cardholders also earn 5x points on prepaid hotels booked on American Express Travel.
You can transfer your Membership Rewards at a 1:1 ratio to many airline partners including Delta, British Airways, and Qantas. With British Airways, you can book partner flights on American Airlines.
Texas is lounges for some of the best airport lounge networks. At Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport, this card gives you free access to the Centurion Lounge, Priority Pass, and Delta Sky Club lounges. Houston International (HOU) also has a Centurion lounge and other airline-specific lounges.
The Platinum Card from American Express also provides these travel benefits:
- $200 airline fee credit for incidental fees at one select qualifying airline (in the form of a statement credit, enrollment required)
- Up to $200 in annual Uber credits (terms apply)
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
- Complimentary airport lounge access
- No foreign transaction fee (See Rates & Fees)
This card’s annual fee is $550 (See Rates & Fees).
New cardmembers can earn 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards® Points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. Cardholders also earn 10x points on eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of card membership.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card
Southwest Airlines’ corporate headquarters are in Dallas. When flying from Love Field, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card offers the best personal travel benefits:
- $75 annual Southwest travel credit
- 4 Upgraded Bookings per year (when available)
- 20% back on inflight purchases
- 7,500 anniversary points each card renewal
- No foreign transaction fee
Cardholders earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases. Non-bonus purchases earn 1x point per $1 spent.
New cardholders can earn 65,000 points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
Your annual fee for this card is $149.
Related: Best Southwest Credit Cards
Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
The premium Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is the most luxurious credit card for American Airlines.
You get these benefits:
- Admirals Club lounge access
- One free checked bag for you and up to 8 companions
- Priority check-in, airport screening (where available), and priority boarding
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- Earn 10,000 bonus elite qualifying miles (EQMs) after $40,000 in annual purchases
- No foreign transaction fee
The lounge benefit alone can be worth the $450 annual fee.
Houston has Texas’ second busiest airport at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). Notable airlines operating from HOU include United Airlines, Delta, Singapore Airlines, and Emirates.
Southwest Airlines has a large presence at Hobby Airport (HOU).
United Explorer Card
As Houston is a United Airlines hub, you might like the United℠ Explorer Card.
United Explorer Card benefits include:
- First checked bag is free for you and one companion
- Two one-time United Club passes at account opening and each card anniversary
- Earn 2x United miles on United purchases, restaurants, and hotel accommodations booked directly from the hotel
- Fee credit of up to $100 for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
- No foreign transaction fee
The annual fee is $0 for the first year and then $95 each card renewal. Although you may primarily fly United, you can also redeem your miles for Star Alliance partner flights like Lufthansa for nonstop service to Frankfurt.
The United℠ Explorer Card has a sign-up offer of up to 65,000 bonus miles. New cardholders can earn 40,000 United miles after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after your account is open. Plus, earn an additional 25,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 in the first 6 months.
Learn more: Airline Credit Cards
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is one of the most flexible travel rewards cards.
- Earn 2x Ultimate Rewards on all travel and dining purchases (1x for everything else)
- Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for award travel on Chase
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
- Trip cancellation/interruption benefits
- No foreign transaction fee
You can transfer your points at a 1:1 ratio to airlines like United, Southwest Airlines, British Airway, Emirates, and Singapore Airlines. You won’t have a problem redeeming points for the major airlines operating from Houston.
Related: Best Travel Credit Cards
The best credit cards for Texas can also help you with the state capital. The primary airport is Austin-Bergstrom International (AUS).
The legacy domestic carriers and discount airlines have a large presence. You will even see several international airlines flying to Canada and Europe.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns unlimited 2x miles on all purchases. Your purchase rewards can be redeemed for travel statement credits, booking upcoming travel, or transferring to airline partners. If you tend to fly the airline with the cheapest price or best flight times for that route, you will appreciate this flexibility.
One additional travel benefit is a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. The annual fee is $95.
New Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Travel Rewards Credit Cards
Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card can be your best option for flying Delta Airlines. It has a reasonable annual fee and plenty of Delta travel benefits. It is also one of the best Delta credit cards.
Card benefits include:
- Free checked bag for you on Delta flights and up to 8 companions
- Main cabin 1 priority boarding
- Earn 2 SkyMiles per $1 at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, U.S. supermarkets, and Delta purchases
- Terms apply
New cardholders can earn 70,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021. Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable of 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
Plus, Gold card members will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit after spending $10,000 in purchases on their card in a calendar year. Cardholders can use the Credit for future travel.
The annual fee for this card is $0 for the first year, then $99 (See Rates & Fees).
As Austin is home to a Delta Sky Club (along with DFW and IAH), you may also consider one of the other premium Delta credit cards. Terms apply.
Learn more: Airline Credit Cards
Summary of Credit Cards for Texas
As Texas is home to some of the nation’s busiest airports, you have plenty of domestic and international travel options. The best credit cards for Texas let you maximize your travel habits but can help boost your daily spending power as well.
What is the best credit card for Dallas, Texas?
The best credit card for Dallas, Texas can be a flexible rewards card like the Platinum Card from American Express. This card is great for frequent flyers and international travel. You can get free lounge access at the Centurion, Priority Pass (enrollment required), and Delta Sky Clubs in Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport.
Other airlines with a major presence in Dallas include American Airlines and Southwest Airlines. One of their co-brand cards can be helpful if you favor a particular airline.
What is the best credit card for Houston, Texas?
You might consider getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred to earn flexible travel rewards. For instance, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards to United Airlines or Southwest Airlines. Both of these airlines fly multiple flights from Houston’s airports. Houston also has many international airlines that you can either transfer Ultimate Rewards to or redeem your points for award flights with a 25% travel redemption bonus.
As United Airlines has a major hub in Houston, their co-brand United Explorer Card is worth considering. You and one companion get one free checked bag. At the card opening and each renewal, you get two one-time United Club lounge passes.
What is the best credit card for Austin, Texas?
Austin has plenty of domestic and international flight destinations for a mid-size airport. As one airline doesn’t have an overwhelming presence like Dallas or Houston, the Capital One Venture Card is a great option.
You earn unlimited 2x miles on all purchases. You can redeem your miles for travel statement credits, upcoming travel, or transfer to airline partners. The annual fee is $0 for the first year and then $95 each card anniversary. Capital One also reimburses your TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee credit, up to $100.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.