This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Discover credit cards are some of the least talked-about credit card reviews. One reason why is that Discover doesn’t offer premium credit cards or co-brand airline and hotel credit cards. However, the best Discover credit cards earn up to 5% back on purchases. And you never pay an annual fee.
You can earn cash or travel rewards with Discover. Whether you have excellent credit or bad credit, Discover has an option for you.
Discover it Cash Back Card – Best for Cash Rewards
The Discover it® Cash Back is the most popular of the Discover credit cards. Its popularity is mostly because it earns up to 5% back on purchases. Like the Chase Freedom Flex℠, you get 5% back on the first $1,500 in quarterly bonus spending. All non-bonus purchases earn an unlimited 1% back.
Discover’s into offer lets cardholders earn unlimited cash back match. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year. There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards either. Whether you earn $50 or $500 in cash rewards, Discover matches the entire amount the first year.
Like most cash rewards credit cards, your cash rewards are redeemable in any amount.
Discover it Miles – Best for Travel Rewards
The Discover it® Miles is Discover’s only credit card for travel rewards. You can earn unlimited 1.5x miles for every $1 spent. Your rewards miles are redeemable for travel statement credits, booking upcoming travel, or cash rewards.
Discover matches every mile you earn for the first 12 months.
You won’t pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fee which makes this a possibility for international travel. Keep in mind, that Discover’s international merchants can be hit-or-miss. Because of this, you may also want to bring a Visa or Mastercard which has near-universal acceptance.
Consider this: You can earn unlimited 2x miles (instead of 1.5x miles) on every purchase with the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Discover it chrome – Best for Gas and Restaurants
Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants (on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter) with the Discover it® chrome. All remaining purchases earn 1% back. Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
Discover also matches every reward you earn for the first 12 months. This card doesn’t have an annual fee but you will likely need a credit score of at least 670 to qualify.
Discover it Secured – Best for Building Credit
The Discover it® Secured is one of the best credit cards to build a credit score. Two reasons why are because this card has no annual fee and earns cash back on every purchase. This is a good option if you have no credit history or a credit score in the 500s.
Get 2% back on the first $1,000 spent each quarter at gas stations and restaurants. Your other purchases earn an unlimited 1% back. Discover even matches your cash rewards for the first 12 months.
Like other secured cards, you will pay a refundable security deposit of at least $200. Your monthly payments report to all three credit bureaus to build your credit history. Discover waives the late payment fee on your first missed payment.
After the first 8 months, Discover reviews your credit score to see if you can upgrade to an unsecured credit card. That means you might be able to get one of the other cards on this list. You won’t have to front a security deposit and you can have a higher credit score.
Discover it Student Cash Back – Best Student Credit Card
The Discover it® Student Cash Back is the student version of the Discover it Cash Back. It has the same 5% quarterly bonus categories and Discover matches your cash rewards for the first 12 months.
Having a minimum 3.0-grade point average for the school year means you get an annual $20 statement credit (up to 5 years).
Your rewards points are redeemable for cash rewards or Amazon.com shopping credit. With either option, each point is worth 1 cent each. This is good as other credit cards devalue points when using them for store credit.
Alternate card: The Discover it® Student chrome earns 2% back at gas stations and grocery stores (on the first $1,000 quarterly) and 1% back on everything else. Either card can be one of the best travel credit cards for students.
Discover it Business – Best for Business Purchases
The information for the Discover it® Business Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Discover offers one business credit card. The Discover it® Business Card earns unlimited 1.5% back on every purchase. Like the personal credit cards, Discover matches your purchase rewards for the first 12 months. Rewards points are redeemable for cash in any amount.
There is no annual fee and employee cards come at no extra cost.
Want a business card with travel rewards? Consider one of these best business credit cards with no annual fee.
Discover Credit Card Additional Benefits
All of the Discover credit cards offer the same extra card benefits listed below:
- Late payment fee waived on the first missed payment
- FICO credit score monitoring
- Social Security number alerts
- Unlimited cashback match for the first 12 months
- No annual fee
- Free overnight shipping card replacement to any U.S. street address
- 100% U.S. based customer service
While you won’t get exciting perks like dining vouchers or airport lounge access, these fringe benefits can save you money while you build credit. The free monitoring tools also provide extra peace of mind.
Summary on the Best Discover Credit Cards
The best Discover credit cards are a good option if you want to earn competitive cash rewards. If you spend at places that accept Discover, you can earn a larger-than-usual signup bonus thanks to the unlimited 12-month match, some of the best credit card offers. Not having to pay an annual fee or first missed payment fee also provides financial relief.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Discover it Cash Back Card – Best for Cash Rewards
- 2 Discover it Miles – Best for Travel Rewards
- 3 Discover it chrome – Best for Gas and Restaurants
- 4 Discover it Secured – Best for Building Credit
- 5 Discover it Student Cash Back – Best Student Credit Card
- 6 Discover it Business – Best for Business Purchases
- 7 Discover Credit Card Additional Benefits
- 8 Summary on the Best Discover Credit Cards