I was in Canada this past week just in time for the NHL to begin its 2018/19 season. Ice hockey of course dominates the headlines above the border, even though it’s not the country’s official national sport. That title actually goes to lacrosse (FYI: I played both sports in high school and lacrosse in college). Still, ice hockey is without a doubt the country’s most popular sport, and to give you an idea how much the season opener meant to Canadians, I couldn’t find the New York Yankees one-game playoff game against the Oakland As on the tube that day. (Fortunately, the Yankees’s playoff games with Boston in the following days were on multiple channels.)
Since there’s no better time than the beginning of the hockey season…Budweiser Red Lights replicate the red lights that are above hockey nets and illuminate when a goal is scored (to let the crowd and players know). Each light is Wi-Fi enabled, so you can sync it with your favorite team so that the light illuminates in real-time when the team scores! You can get a replica red light to put above your TV (your spouse will love it, ha!) for $159 or keep things lower-key with a smaller version, like a drink coaster ($22) or beer glasses ($18) on Amazon and/or eBay.com (check both Ebay’s U.S. and Canada sites depending on where you reside).
I know these gadgets aren’t really travel-related, but they’re just so cool.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.