Busy Bee (2413 S Walker Ave; 310-832-8660) arguably makes the best hot sandwiches in Los Angeles, if not the planet. It’s only a couple of miles from the port of Los Angeles so it’s a perfect place for cruise-goers to stop before departing.
The hole-in-the-wall market is located in San Pedro (pronounced Pee-dro), California, in a residential neighborhood on the corner of 24th Street and Walker Avenue. Note: There’s not a lot of parking and there’s always a long line no matter what time of day you go.
The good news is the line moves quickly (you should be in and out within 20 minutes). Ad since the line moves fast, you should be sure to know what you want by the time you get to the counter. The guys making the sandwiches don’t like to wait around. Here’s the menu (note that the prices are not accurate).
You have to get one of their hot sandwiches even though they’re super messy (ask for extra napkins). I usually get the BBQ chicken ($8.75) without skin, with cheese (provolone) and (tomato) sauce. They also put pepperoncinis on the side of all sandwiches. When I’m really hungry, I get the Belly Buster, which is any two meat combinations. The BBQ chicken and meatballs is so good but you’ll definitely need a nap after throwing that thing down.
I’ve been going to this deli for over 25 years and the only things that have changed are the prices, the line (it keeps getting longer), the cashier (the owner’s son is now manning the register), and my belly.
Cash only. Closed on Sundays. Everything is to-go.
Also: There’s nowhere to eat at the market so I highly recommend you drive 6.7 miles (directions) to the Point Vicente Lighthouse in Rancho Palos Verdes (photo above) and eat on one of the picnic tables. Or, drive 1.5 miles to the Korean Friendship Bell in San Pedro (directions).
Have you been to Busy Bee? What do you think? Great, right?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.