This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
When you travel, you will most likely stay in a hotel. Instead of paying for your hotel with just any credit card reviews, consider using one of the best hotel credit cards 2020 instead. You can earn incentives that are more specific to your lifestyle. If you’re trying to find the best hotel credit cards 2019 for your travel habits, these hotel car recommendations can be a start.
The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2020 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card – Earn 5 free nights
- Best Free Night Award: World of Hyatt Credit Card – Earn up to 50,000 points
- Best for Non-Business People: IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card – Earn up to 140,000 points
- Best Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card – Earn up to 80,000 points
- Best Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card – Earn up to 100,000 miles
Other Good Credit Cards for Hotel Stays
- Flexible Rewards Credit Card for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
As the Marriott and Starwood merger enters its final stage, Marriott is launching several new credit cards. One of these new cards is the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card which is replacing the current premium Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card. It is also one of the best Marriott credit cards. The Marriott credit card is the best hotel credit card for Marriott loyalists.
On each card anniversary, you also get one free night reward valid at any property that costs 35,000 points or less. You will also earn 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. All remaining purchases will earn 2 points per $1 spent.
New cardholders can earn 5 free nights after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
Even if you only stay in a hotel one night a year, you can stay for free if you get a free night award. In most cases, the free hotel night cash value is greater than the card’s annual fee.
With the World of Hyatt Credit Card, your free annual hotel night is valid at any category 1-4 Hyatt property. This free night alone is easily worth more than the $95 annual fee. This is also one of the best credit cards for free hotel nights.
Hyatt also has one of the most generous reward night policies. Their free nights start at 5,000 points and max out at 30,000 points at a category 7 property. With most other hotel programs, 30,000 points only books a room at a mid-tier property. If you want to enjoy upscale travel at bargain prices, don’t overlook Hyatt.
You also have the opportunity to earn up to 50,000 bonus points as a welcome bonus. Earn 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Then, you can earn an additional 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend a total of $6,000 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
Plus, you can enjoy these tiered purchase rewards:
- 9 points per $1 spent on Hyatt purchases – 4 points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5 points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- 2 points for restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airline, local transit, and commuting, and on fitness club and gym memberships
If you frequent Hyatt properties, the World of Hyatt Card is a great card to have in your wallet.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers travel benefits and purchase rewards that benefit non-business travelers:
- Reward night annual certificate after account anniversary
- Earn up to 25x points total per $1 when you stay at IHG hotel
- Earn 2x points per $1 at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- 1x point per $1 for all other purchases
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
You also have the chance to earn 140,000 bonus points by spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Reward IHG nights start at 5,000 points. That means you can squeeze up to 28 reward nights from the entire bonus offer amount. Plus, you can top off your IHG account with Chase Ultimate Rewards transfers.
Because you’re not traveling for business, the 2x bonus points give you the perfect opportunity to earn bonus points on your largest monthly spending categories (not including your rent or mortgage payment). If you want a credit card that offers hotel benefits and air travel benefits, it’s hard not to like the IHG Premier.
Automatic Platinum Elite status lets you enjoy space-available room upgrades, a 50% earning bonus, and extended checkout. To earn this status without the card, you need to stay at least 40 nights per year.
The annual fee is $0 the first year, then $89.
Honorable Mention: IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card
The IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card may not come with an annual reward hotel night certificate but it does come with the opportunity to earn points without the worries of an annual fee or any foreign transaction fees. Cardholders earn up to 15x points total per $1 spent at IHG hotels. It also comes with a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.
New cardholders can earn 100,000 points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months of account opening.
Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
Casual travelers that don’t need a free night award or for those that only need a secondary credit card, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is one of the best options without an annual fee (See rates & fees).
The Hilton Honors Card earns up to 7x Hilton Honors points per $1 spent:
- 7x points per $1 spent directly on eligible Hilton purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands
- 5x points per $1 of eligible purchases spent at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and U.S. supermarkets
- 3x points per $1 spent on other eligible remaining purchases
You will also enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status. That earns you a 5th night free on reward stays, elite rollover nights, and two water bottles per stay. Spend $20,000 in a year to upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
New cardholders can earn 80,000 points after spending $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
Learn more: Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
If you’re not loyal to one particular hotel brand, the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card gets you 2x miles per $1 on every purchase (Uber Eats purchases earn 5x miles per $1 spent through January 31, 2021). You can redeem these rewards miles for future award travel purchases or as a statement credit. This card is a great option if you want flexibility and you simply want a room that’s clean and comfortable. It’s also one of the best metal credit cards you can have in your wallet, making it reliable and stronger against wear and tear.
New cardholders can earn a 100k mile bonus by spending $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Rewards Credit Cards
You can see how the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture Rewards, two top travel rewards cards, compare.
Everybody needs something different from their hotel credit card. Maybe you want to pick up a loyalty card because your company encourages you to stay at one brand when you travel and you want to accelerate your travel benefits. Whether you stay in a hotel a few times a year or a few times a week, these best hotel credit cards can be one of the most valuable credit cards you keep in your wallet.
Are you currently using the best credit card for hotel purchases? Owning a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t always the right option.
Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred
If you’re not loyal to a particular hotel brand, a co-brand hotel credit card isn’t much value beyond the free anniversary nights. That’s why you should consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Sapphire Reserve if you’re in the market for a premium travel rewards card. That’s how the best hotel credit card possibly won’t be co-branded with a hotel.
You can transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points on a 1:1 basis to these hotel partners:
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
- World of Hyatt
You can begin booking award nights for 5,000 points and find a quality property in nearly any travel destination. In addition to these hotel transfer partners, Chase Sapphire Preferred® owners can also transfer points to nine frequent flyer programs including United, Southwest Airlines, and British Airways Avios.
I like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card because you have so many 1:1 transfer partners that make it easy to book award travel and make each point worth at least 2 cents each. But you can also enjoy these travel benefits:
- 2x points on travel and dining
- Primary rental car collision damage waiver
- 80,000 points sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 in three months
If you choose the premium Sapphire Reserve over the Preferred, you will also enjoy these air travel benefits:
- $300 travel credit
- $100 Global Entry/TSA Precheck application fee reimbursement
- Priority Pass Select lounge membership
- Special on-property benefits from The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection
The $300 travel credit can be applied to the first $300 in any travel-related purchases including hotel purchases. Other premium credit cards only let you redeem your travel credit for baggage fees, in-flight purchases, and seat upgrades. It can be hard to redeem your travel credit if you rarely encounter one of these three travel fees.
Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
The information for the Citi Prestige Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some hotel rewards programs like Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy offer a free night on a multi-night reward stay, but this benefit can pale in comparison to the Citi Prestige® Credit Card 4th night free benefit. Plus, the Citi Prestige earns 3x points per $1 on hotel purchases.
When you book any 4+ night stay through ThankYou.com, you only have to pay the hotel fees and taxes for that fourth night. This complimentary 4th night at a hotel of your choice is based on your average night stay. However, this benefit is capped at 2 times each calendar year.
The 4th night free is the largest selling point of the Citi Prestige, but you can also enjoy these benefits:
- $250 annual air travel credit
- $100 Global Entry application fee credit
- 5x points on air travel and restaurants
- 3x points on cruises and hotels
- 1x point on all remaining purchases
- 1:1 airline point transfers
This is also one of the best Citi credit cards to consider for your travels.
If you’re loyal to a particular hotel brand, their rewards card can be a good option because they offer the most points per dollar spent as a loyalty bonus. But, if you need the flexibility to stay for free at multiple hotel chains or you occasionally want to use your points for non-hotel rewards, the Sapphire and Citi ThankYou credit cards are good options for hotel purchases.
- How to Avoid Hotel and Resort Fees
- Best Credit Cards for Hotel Elite Status
- The Best Gas Credit Cards
- Best Hotel Credit Card Offers
For rates and fees of the Hilton Honors Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Hotel Credit Cards in 2020 (And Their Major Bonuses)
- 2 Best Hotel Card Bonus: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- 3 Best Free Night Award: The World of Hyatt Credit Card
- 4 For Non-Business People: IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- 5 Best Hotel Credit Card with No Annual Fee: Hilton Honors American Express Card
- 6 Best Credit Card for Flexible Booking: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 7 Summary
- 8 Flexible Rewards Credit Cards for Hotel Purchases: Chase Sapphire Preferred
- 9 Credit Card for 4+ Night Stays: Citi Prestige Credit Card
- 10 Summary