If you get my daily tip newsletter (it’s free and you can sign up here), you know that last year I wrote a tip stating “Don’t Leave Japan Without Buying this Addictive Snack“). While in Tokyo’s Narita International Airport, I noticed passengers going crazy in the Duty Free shops, buying boxes of something called Potato Farm Jaga Pokkuru Snacks. The employee trying to restock couldn’t even get them on the shelves so he just left them on the trolley and let customers grab them from there.
Of course, when I see a frenzy like that I know something is good so I bought two boxes. In that case, each comes with 10 individual packets. Like a fool I didn’t try them until I was home, and after one bite I knew I made a mistake for not buying the store’s five-box limit.
They cost 600 yen each ($5 US) in the store but on Amazon they go for $18 US (the price has come down $5 since last year). The chips are shaped and taste just like french fries. They were so good that I wanted to export them to the US, but obviously I didn’t.
Then, last week while flying first class (I got upgraded for free thanks to my elite status) from San Francisco to L.A. on American Airlines, I noticed a new offering in the snack basket that the flight attendants were passing around.
Whole Cuts looked to me like they might taste the same as my Japanese snacks, so I tried them—and sure enough they did! When I returned home I bought them on Amazon so Natalie could experience them too. She loved them, too!
Like the Japanese chips, they aren’t that cheap ($15.99 on Amazon) but believe me when I say they are both worth it.
UPDATED: August 2020
Trader Joe’s sells them for $1.99! They’re called Spud Crunchies.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.