This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You don’t have to be constantly on the road in order to earn points and miles for your favorite loyalty program. There are plenty of ways to earn through actions you complete every single day. One of the easiest ways to do this is to make sure you’re reaping points and miles when you dine out. Here’s how you can go about it.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Join A Dining Program
Lots of loyalty programs have separate dining programs for their members. You may not even be aware of them. In many cases, these dining programs aren’t heavily marketed to members which means you might not even know they’re available to you.
Even though they sometimes require a separate signup than when you signed up for your overall loyalty program membership, they’re relatively easy to use. Plus, they’re usually free to join.
Hilton Honors Dining
Some of the most popular dining programs are those that are connected to the major U.S. airlines and hotel chains. Hilton’s dining program is called Hilton Honors Dining. New signees receive a special 1,000 bonus points for their first restaurant visit.
The rest of the time, they earn eight bonus points per $1 when dining 11 or more times in a year and subscribe to email notifications from the program. They can also earn five bonus points per $1 when they dine 10 or fewer times in a year and opt-in for email notifications. Alternatively, they’ll earn two points per $1 when doing any of the above but don’t opt in for those notifications.
Considering how easy it is to dine out more than 11 times in a year, the eight points per $1 is attainable.
United’s dining program, MileagePlus Dining, is similar. You earn up to 2,500 bonus award miles just for signing up and dining within 30 days. Then, you earn 1 mile per $2 spent if you’re a basic member; 3 miles per $1 spent if you’re a Select member; and 5 miles per $1 spent if you’re a VIP member.
Select members are those that have elected to receive email notifications. VIP members are those that receive email notifications and have dined out more than 11 times in a year.
Other dining programs include those offered by Alaska, Delta, Southwest, and American. Don’t see your favorite loyalty program on the list? Make sure you dig a little deeper into your loyalty program to see if a separate dining program exists.
Signup For A Dining Friendly Credit Card
There are plenty of credit cards out there that offer miles and points earning potential when it comes to dining. But knowing which ones to consider can be tricky. You don’t want to sign up for a card that promises plenty of earnings for dining out, just to find out that you can’t transfer the points earned or cash back to your favorite airline or hotel loyalty program.
Chase Sapphire Reserve
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® credit card is a good choice to consider for dining out. You earn three points per every $1 spent on dining. Then you can redeem your points for travel via Chase Ultimate Rewards. However, if you’re turned off by this card’s large annual fee of $550, its sister card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, gives you two points per $1 spent on dining for only $95 per year.
American Express Gold Card
Similarly, the American Express® Gold Card earns:
- Unlimited 4x Membership Rewards points on dining (including delivery and takeout)
- 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 annually, then 1x)
- 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1x point for all other purchases
- Terms apply
You can redeem your points for travel via the American Express travel booking portal.
The annual fee is $250 and there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
American Express® Gold Card cardholders can also get up to $120 in Uber Cash annually. Plus, you’ll earn 4x Membership Rewards® points for each Uber Eats purchase on your card. To use this perk, simply add your card to your Uber account and you’ll automatically get $10 in Uber Cash each month in your Uber account for U.S. Uber Eats orders or U.S. Uber rides. Any unused Uber Cash expires at the end of each month (it does not roll over to the next month).
Cardholders also get up to 12 complimentary months of Eats Pass when you subscribe with your American Express Gold Card. That’s a value of up to $119 annually (based on the $9.99 monthly price over 12 months). With the Uber Eats Pass, you can get unlimited $0 Delivery Fees and 5% off orders over $15 at eligible restaurants. Note that taxes and service fees may apply and do not count toward the order minimum.
This benefit applies only in the U.S. on U.S. orders at eligible restaurants and on eligible restaurant purchases.
Enrollment is required by 12/31/2021. After that, the Uber Eats Pass will begin auto-billing 12 months after your enrollment in this offer, at the then-current monthly price. Learn more about the Uber Eats partnership for more information.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.