Growing up, one of my favorite treats in the summer was Kool Pops. I loved them, and I still have an affection for them even though I realize they aren’t very good for you (they’re usually loaded with sugar and dyes).
Since I’m currently in Canada where it’s hot and humid, I bought some freeze pops to pop in the freezer. But on the way back from the store I started thinking about how there must be a healthier option. So I logged on to Amazon and looked up books on summer popsicles with ingredients that are better for you, tastier and cheaper than the old stuff.
One of the highest ratings books is called “People’s Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn’s Coolest Pop Shop.” It sounds great. I just ordered one ($8) so that when I get back to L.A. I can make them. I think some of the recipes will be perfect for road trips, especially if you’re renting a house/apartment or planning to spend time at the beach. The recipes are for all ages and were created in 2008 by three old friends in New York City when they opened up their popular People’s Pops shop. They have out-of-the-box flavors like “Raspberries & Basil,” “Peach & Bourbon” and “Cantaloupe & Tarragon.” The cookbook teaches you how to pair ingredients, balance sweetness and explore fruits (and vegetables and herbs!). There’s even a chapter devoted to shave ice plus recipes for grownup boozy pops.
One customer had this to say: “The strawberries & cream pop is a favorite, and I am newly obsessed with the watermelon & cucumber popsicle. The recipes are creative, with unexpected (and unexpectedly delicious) flavor combinations. While a few of the recipes use ingredients that are a little unconventional, the recipes usually don’t use too many ingredients, and they’re usually pretty easy and fairly quick to make.”
Have your own recipes/favorites? Share them in the comments below!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.