Long-exposure photography, in which a camera’s shutter is left open for a longer time to capture extra light and/or movement, can lead to amazing photos. Starry skies, ships in a harbor, and clouds passing over a mountain are just three of many travel scenes served well by the style.
Generally, you need a nice, bulky DSLR camera to take good long-exposure photos. But like with everything these days, our smartphones are changing that. Spectre, which is $2.99 in the App Store, uses AI to help you take better long-exposure photos. And it’s extremely good at it. The many effects and features available let you remove crowds from photos, for example, or turn your photo into a live photo. The simple act of getting the camera settings right for the lighting is worlds easier. In short, Spectre makes long-exposure photography more accessible.
Spectre is so good at what it does, in fact, that it was named the “iPhone App of the Year” for 2019 by Apple. “This AI-powered app,” wrote Apple, “leverages a dizzying amount of tech to let anyone take stunning long-exposure photos.” (You can see Apple’s post with its other 2019 winners here.)
I generally only recommend paid apps when they’re really worth it. If you want to take better long-exposure photos with your phone, or you simply like photography or travel often, there’s a good chance that Spectre is worth it.
More apps for better long-exposure photos and other travel photos
- The Free Foodie App Will Improve Your Food Photos
- This Great Photo-Editing App Just Partnered With a Famous Instagrammer
- How to Easily Turn Photos on Your Phone Into Prints
- How to Take Long Exposure Photos With an iPhone
- The Telephoto Lens for Your Phone Camera That’s Under $25
- How to Add a Watermark to Protect Your Photos
- 7 Editing Tips to Improve Your Travel Photographs
- How to Turn Your Phone Into a Polaroid Camera
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.