This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express bonus categories can help maximize everyday purchases. This rewards credit card is best known for earning up to 6% back (in the form of a statement credit) on groceries and 3% back at gas stations. You can also earn rewards on streaming subscriptions and transit. Plus, you can enjoy a card design with contactless payment technology.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Blue Cash Preferred Card Bonus Categories
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express offers four different bonus categories:
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (on the first $6,000 annually, then 1% back)
- 6% back on select U.S. streaming services
- 3% back at U.S. gas stations
- 3% back on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses, and more)
All remaining purchases earn an unlimited 1% back.
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
The bonus category changes come as older Millennial’s daily spending shifts in a different direction. According to American Express, Millennials between ages 31 and 38 most common daily purchases are groceries, streaming, and commuting.
It’s possible to earn an unlimited 6% back on over 20 U.S. streaming services. Some of the eligible platforms include Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, and Audible. This list is more extensive than other rewards credit cards.
If you’re looking for an excuse to cut the cable subscription, now is your chance.
However you commute to work, it’s more likely you can get 3% back on your commuting expenses. You still get unlimited 3% back at U.S. gas stations.
It’s also possible to earn an unlimited 3% back on public transit, parking, and tolls. Even rideshares, including Lyft and Uber, earn 3% back.
While you still don’t earn bonus points on travel purchases like with travel credit cards, you save money on your day-to-day transit costs.
The first $6,000 spent annually at U.S. supermarkets earns 6% back. This is the card’s only purchase category that has an annual spending limit. All purchases above the $6,000 spend mark earn an unlimited 1% back until your next card anniversary. Maximizing the 6% bonus gives you $360 cash back each year.
However, note that purchases made at stores like Walmart and Target only earn 1% back on every purchase, including your groceries. Earning the 6% back means making purchases at eligible U.S. stores.
Redeeming Purchase Rewards
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is a cash back credit card. Cash back comes in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
Unlike some of the better-known American Express credit cards that earn Membership Rewards points, these rewards can’t be transferred to airline partners or redeemed for travel rewards. If you’re looking for a travel rewards credit card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture are good cards that may fit your needs.
The card design features the iconic Centurion that graces other high-end American Express credit cards.
But it’s not a metal credit card.
This card also has a contactless payment ability that lets you simply tap to pay for in-person purchases.
The welcome bonus is the ability to earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months. There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees).
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
Like other American Express credit cards, this bonus is only awarded once per card. Previous cardholders who earned the Blue Cash Preferred welcome bonus cannot qualify to earn the bonus a second time.
Additional Blue Cash Preferred Card Benefits
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred has several complimentary benefits that can save you money when shopping and traveling.
Cardholders can also enjoy $0 plan fees when using Plan It® to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months after account opening. Plans created after that will have a plan fee up to 1.33% of each purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
One of the potentially most valuable shopping benefits is the free 2-day Shoprunner service at over 100 stores. Free shipping can save you money when shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue, eBags, and 1-800-Flowers.
Nobody will mistake the Blue Cash Preferred as a credit card for travel rewards but its travel protection benefits are competitive with other cashback credit cards.
You get secondary rental car collision damage waiver protection when declining the rental car agency insurance.
The annual fee is $0 the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees).
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express cardholders earn bonus points on more of the common day-to-day purchases including streaming services and transit. Therefore, the Blue Cash Preferred continues to be one of the best credit cards for buying groceries. As mentioned previously, you earn 6% back on the first $6,000 spent annually on groceries, then 1%.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
- Best No Annual Fee Travel Credit Cards
- Best Credit Card Reviews 2021
- The Best Credit Cards to Use For Medical Bills
For rates and fees of The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.