This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Perhaps you’re still deciding where you want to travel this summer. The good news is you can still find plenty of summer travel deals. In fact, early June might be the best time to book your summer travels if you are a last-minute planner. This is because the first Tuesday in June is unofficially known as “Summer Travel Tuesday.”
According to Hipmunk, 90% more flights bookings happen on Summer Travel Tuesday than the median number of daily summer bookings. Approximately 70% of these flight bookings are for June and July of the same year.
Hipmunk also states that over a third of the routes are discounted at least 15%. In 2019, Summer Travel Tuesday lands on June 4.
One main reason why there are more travel bookings is that Southwest Airlines launches its annual summer fare sale. This sale lasts three days and is good for booking discount flights during the fall. You can find one-way fares for as low as $49 and round trips for $98.
For a limited time, the Southwest Airlines credit cards let you earn 60,000 bonus points instead of the standard 40,000-point bonus with the same $2,000 minimum spend in 3 months requirement. This offer ends on June 10, 2019. You will need to act fast if you want to qualify for this bonus.
Other airlines also discount their flights during this period so it is a good idea to browse around.
Tip: Use one of the best travel credit cards to earn points and miles on your summer travel deals. For instance, the Chase Sapphire Preferred earns points on all travel and dining purchases and allows you to transfer your points to use for award travel.
Discount Flight Routes for Summer Travel Deals
Some routes will have deeper discounts than others. For domestic travel, you may consider one of these top destinations for your summer travel deals:
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Las Vegas
Summer travel deals can be found between other cities. One of the best routes, according to Hipmunk, is between Houston and San Diego with a potential savings of 49% on Summer Travel Tuesday.
If you’re wanting to fly to Europe, some of the best destinations can be London, Paris, and Madrid. If you wish to stay within North America, some of the best summer travel deals are for Vancouver or Cancun.
Whether you want to pay with cash or points, finding summer travel deals is still possible for June, July, and August. You may have the best chances by booking as close to Summer Travel Tuesday (June 4, 2019) as possible before the flash sales disappear.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.